Taco night has been a weekly occurrence for me since I was a kid. So it’s no wonder that I come up with various taco recipes on a regular basis. Today… Ground Chicken Tacos with the best taco meat ever.
Table of Contents
This Ground Chicken Taco meat has been on my meal prep list for the past few months, and every week it’s always one of the first things in my fridge to be finished. The best part is that it couldn’t be easier to make. All you’ve got to do is whip up the ground chicken taco meat, char some of your favorite tortillas and serve it up with a few kinds of cheese, salsa and guacamole so everyone can DIY their perfect taco. Simple right? This is one of those meals that makes everyone happy, so it works great as a family meal or if you’re cooking for picky eaters. No one is going to be disappointed.
Here’s What You Need
- Ground Chicken – You can also substitute this for ground beef or turkey.
- Taco Seasoning – The key to making the most flavorful taco meat is my homemade taco seasoning. I use it on just about EVERYTHING, roasting vegetables, seasoning refried beans, chili, you name it! However, it is especially delicious in these chicken tacos. This homemade spice mix uses spices we all probably have on hand and can be whipped up in under a few minutes.
- Tortillas – I’m obsessed with Vista Hermosa flour tortillas! I found them at Erewhon.
- Shredded Cheese – I like using a mix of freshly shredded cheddar and freshly shredded Monterey jack.
- Salsa – Use your favorite: red, green, mild, medium, or hot.
- Avocado or Guacamole – Ground Chicken Tacos would not be complete without a little guac.
How to Make Ground Chicken Tacos
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the ground meat and sauté for 5 minutes and break it up with the back of a wooden spoon. Add all the taco seasoning and stir to combine.
- Continue to cook the ground meat and break it down with the back of a wooden spoon until it’s fully cooked and no pink remains. Once cooked, add 2 tablespoons of water and reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve the Ground Chicken Tacos with tortillas, shredded cheese, salsa, guacamole, and any other taco fixings you prefer.
Variations and Subs
- Swap out the ground chicken in these Ground Chicken Tacos for ground beef or turkey if you’d like.
- While I’ve been making this recipe and using it in tacos for the past few months, you could also make this ground chicken mixture, ditch the taco fixings, and use it as needed. The same goes with any leftovers you might have from your DIY taco night. You could put it into a rice/quinoa taco bowl. Use it in this southwestern lasagna. Throw it on top of your taco salad. Skies the limit.
- Once the ground chicken is cooked, add 2 tablespoons of water and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes. This step helps deglaze the pan and add moisture back into the the ground meat mixture.
Tools used to make this
What you’ll need:
Ground Chicken Tacos
- 1 recipe homemade taco seasoning
- 1 pound ground chicken or ground turkey
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly shredded cheddar
- Freshly shredded Monterey jack
- And any other taco fixins you prefer.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the ground meat and sauté for 5 minutes and break it up with the back of a wooden spoon. Add all the taco seasoning and stir to combine. Continue to cook the ground meat and break it down with the back of a wooden spoon until it’s fully cooked and no pink remains.
- Once cooked, add 2 tablespoons of water and reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve as taco meat with tortillas, shredded cheese, salsa, and any other taco fixings you prefer.
- Swap ground chicken for ground turkey or ground beef if you’d like.
My boys will love these!
TACO NIGHT IS MY JAM. I would SO devour these!
Gimme all the tacos! Ground chicken or beef tacos I think will always be a favorite of mine. Because yeah, they are kind of the first style that I feel in love with. Can’t wait to try your seasoning mix!
I just made these tacos, they absolutely rock. That seasoning mix is the best. You won’t be disappointed.
Just made these and they are DELICIOUS!!
Love this recipe. I added a chopped poblano, onion and garlic to the ground chicken while cooking. I served them with lime crema and a kiwi salsa. Beyond delicious. Thanks Gaby!
Life just wouldn’t be life without taco night, love the ground chicken swerve!
There is nothing better than taco night! This chicken looks awesome- love all the spices!
Loving that these are made with ground chicken! Yum!
I used the taco seasoning on chicken breast as a rub for grilling and it was so good! Made a taco salad with lettuce,corn, zucchini, cheese and the chicken… all topped with sour cream, guacamole and Gaby’s chipotle salsa!! Served with corn bread on the side.
these are so good i’ve made them a BUNCH. i didn’t like ground chicken/turkey tacos before this recipe…. thank you!.
made this tonight, so good! A must keep taco seasoning recipe!
How many oz (or grams) of ground beef or chicken per taco is requieres? Aprox? Please help a girl from Peru! I’m throwing a taco party for 11 people. thanks!
use 32 ounces!
We had these tonight. My picky 2 and 5 yr olds LOVED! They were so good, this one is going into rotation and next time I’m making a double batch. I also squeezed the juice from half a lime over the finished chicken mixture and it was amazing. Thank you!!
Just curious, is the homemade taco seasoning mention above, spicy? It looks amazing but my family is picky as all get out with spicy food. I’d love to make these.
not spicy at all!
Love doesn’t it!!! My year old loves it too! Thanks
Thx, I bought ground chicken for tacos & found ur recipe. It really helped SPICE up our tacos, added a tad of ketchup. Gracias!
If I used 2 pounds of ground chicken, would I just double the seasoning recipe?
How much seasoning? I wanted to use your taco senorita seasoning instead of making the homemade one!
I could eat these every day!!
These were possibly the BEST ground chicken nachos I’ve ever made!!! Thanks, Gaby! The spice mix was perfect!
We loved it. We made the tacos with ground turkey. I cut the salt in half due to diet restrictions but that did not hurt the outcome at all.
Made these Tacos tonight with chicken and topped with the corn, poblano, avocado salad basically as a salsa. The taco meat seasoning is really flavorful. Will keep this in the regular rotation! And, omg the corn, avocado salad is a summer must.
This was absolutely delicious!
My son, his friend, and I devoured these tacos right up! I had a little meat left so I used it to make a chicken quesadilla the next morning. Absolutely delicious!
This recipe is a keeper!
Do I use the entire recipe of taco seasoning mix to 1 pound of ground chicken? I saw comments on the taco seasoning recipe post that said the recipe was good for 2 pounds of chicken/turkey? I am only making one pound of ground chicken, how much seasoning mix do I use for 1 pound? Also, will 2 TBS of water be enough liquid? Most packaged taco seasoning mixes call for much more. I don’t want the tacos to be dry. My son is on a strict diet and I am trying to assure him that eating “healthy” can still taste delicious. Thank you!
I would use 2-3 tablespoons per pound of ground meat and 2 tablespoons of water! You can add more if you prefer
If I am going to use your taco fajita señorita seasoning, how much should I use?
“And while I’ve been making this recipe and using it in tacos for the past few months, you could also make this ground chicken mixture, ditch the taco fixings, and use it as needed. You could put it into a rice/quinoa taco bowl. Use it in this southwestern lasagna. Throw it on top of your taco salad. Skies the limit. It’s all about the taco seasoning and trust me, you guys are going to want to make this on a weekly basis.”
These are all great ideas for roll over meals.
What if I want to use your seasoning from Williams Sonoma? How much should I use?
I’ve made this recipe a thousand times. I love it. Thanks so much!
I have made this recipe several times and it’s always a hit. I even served it on a taco bar for my women’s group and didn’t tell them it was chicken and they all thought it was ground beef!! THe spices are right on.
Very tasty meat
Can I use ground turkey instead? Store seems to be out of ground chicken 🙁
Fantastic recipe! The flavors were excellent. Took no time to put together. This will now become my go to seasoning mix for any tacos. Thanks!
Am so looking forward to trying these recipes thank you for your sharing of your talents
Are those flour tortillas? How do you usually char them … in a frying pan? Over gas stove flame? (I don’t have a grill.)
Thoughts on prepping this ahead for a large group? Do you think the flavors will hold up if I cook the chicken the night before and then reheat prior to serving? Woudl you recommend reheating in the oven? ‘
Thoughts on making a big batch, freezing it, and reheating in the over after it thaws?
TOTALLY works – just add a bit of chicken stock when you re-heat it to add some moisture
My family loves their beef but we’ve had to cut it out. I was worried they wouldn’t like the ground chicken but these are so good. Easy , easy to make. Make the taco seasoning recipe for sure then cook it up! Thanks for another great recipe with ground chicken!!