Taco night has been a weekly occurrence for me since I was a kid. So it’s no wonder that I come up with various taco recipes on a regular basis. Today… Ground Chicken Tacos with the best taco meat ever.
This taco meat has been on my meal prep list for the past few months, and every week it’s always one of the first things in my fridge to be finished. The best part is that it couldn’t be easier to make. All you’ve got to do is whip up the ground chicken taco meat, char some of your favorite tortillas and serve it up with a few kinds of cheese, salsa and guacamole so everyone can DIY their perfect taco. Simple right? This is one of those meals that makes everyone happy, so it works great as a family meal or if you’re cooking for picky eaters. No one is going to be disappointed.
Now let’s talk about the key to making the most flavorful taco meat, my homemade taco seasoning. I use it on just about EVERYTHING, roasting vegetables, seasoning refried beans, chili, you name it! However, it is especially delicious in these chicken tacos. This homemade spice mix uses spices we all probably have on hand and can be whipped up in under a few minutes.
And while I’ve been making this recipe and using it in tacos for the past few months, you could also make this ground chicken mixture, ditch the taco fixings, and use it as needed. The same goes with any leftovers you might have from your DIY taco night. You could put it into a rice/quinoa taco bowl. Use it in this southwestern lasagna. Throw it on top of your taco salad. Skies the limit. Remember, it’s all about the taco seasoning and trust me, you guys are going to want to make this on a weekly basis.
Stuck in a dinner rut? Looking for new delicious dinner ideas? Check out my roundup of 50+ easy dinner ideas here.
Ground Chicken Tacos
- 1 recipe homemade taco seasoning
- 1 pound ground chicken or ground turkey
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly shredded cheddar
- Freshly shredded Monterey jack
- And any other taco fixins you prefer.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the ground meat and sauté for 5 minutes and break it up with the back of a wooden spoon. Add all the taco seasoning and stir to combine. Continue to cook the ground meat and break it down with the back of a wooden spoon until it’s fully cooked and no pink remains.
- Once cooked, add 2 tablespoons of water and reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve as taco meat with tortillas, shredded cheese, salsa, and any other taco fixings you prefer.