Someone asked me the other day to whip up my favorite all-purpose spice rub for summer so naturally, that’s exactly what I did! Let me introduce you to this Chipotle Flank Steak with Corn Salsa!
Are you really surprised that my all time favorite spice rub has a decent amount of chipotle powder? I think not. If you follow along on snapchat, insta stories, any of my recipes or my salsa line, you know I love a chipotle moment. I stock chipotle powder by the truckload in case I ever run out. And I have a slew of chipotles in adobo in my pantry for whenever the craving strikes. This spice mixture has all sorts of flavors going on. It’s smoky from the chipotle, spicy from the cayenne, sweet from the brown sugar and savory from the paprika, garlic powder, coriander and cumin. Once it’s all combined, I pack it onto a piece of flank steak and throw it on the grill. Serve it up with a corn salsa that balances out all the flavor and it’s actually the most perfect thing you’ll taste all summer. It’s the quintessential summer grilling steak recipe and you need it ASAP. Chipotle Flank Steak for the win.
You could also use this and dust it on fish before making fish tacos, you could use it on a whole roasted chicken and toss it into a calabacitas veggie hash! But for sure make the Chipotle Flank Steak, you won’t be disappointed.
Chipotle Flank Steak with Corn Salsa
For the spice rub
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1½ pounds flank steak
For the Corn Salsa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for grill
- 3 ears of corn shucked
- 1 poblano pepper
- ¼ red onion finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño finely diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 2 limes juiced
- Kosher salt freshly ground pepper
- Combine all the spices for the spice rub in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Prepare a grill to medium high heat and brush with olive oil. Brush the corn with the oil. Grill the corn and poblano pepper, turning occasionally, until charred, about 8–10 minutes and remove from the grill and let cool. Strip the kernels from cobs and place in a medium bowl. Peel the charred skin on the poblano and discard. Chop the fresh of the pepper into a small dice and add to the bowl with corn kernels.
- Add onion, jalapeño, tomatoes, cilantro, and lime juice to corn and toss to combine; season with salt and pepper. Set salsa aside.
- Meanwhile, drizzle the steak with 1 tablespoon of oil and sprinkle the steak with all of dry rub. Grill the steak, until you have grill marks on both sides. (4 minutes per side for medium-rare, 5 minutes per side for medium.)
- Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, slice against the grain and top with the salsa.