Life without guacamole just isn’t worth living!! Which is why I’m always on the prowl for fun ways to incorporate one of my favorite condiments! And today it’s all about these Carnitas Tacos topped with guac!
I can’t even remember the first time I made carnitas? It had to be years ago when I was in culinary school and just starting to emerge from my picky eater status. (20 some odd years of not really eating fish, meat, mushrooms etc… so if I can get over it, there’s hope for everyone else!) Since then I can’t get enough. These melt in your mouth carnitas are to die for. And when you put them in a warmed flour or corn tortilla and top it off with some guacamole and a sprinkle of pickled onions, well, things look just about perfect!
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup fresh Lime Juice
- 10 oz chipotle salsa
- 1 tsp kosher salt plus more to taste
- Small Corn and Flour Tortillas
- Diced white onions
- lime wedges avocados
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sliced Jalapenos
For the Pickled Red Onions
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 red onion cut in thin slices
- Make the pickled red onions. Whisk the apple cider vinegar, sugar and salt with 1 cup water in a small bowl until sugar and salt dissolve. Place onion in a jar; pour vinegar mixture over. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Place the pork in a large dutch oven with the orange juice, lime juice, salsa and salt. Add enough water to barely cover the meat. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and simmer with the lid on for 2 hours, at which point the pork should be falling apart to the touch.
- Turn the heat up to medium high, and continue to cook the pork for 45 minutes, uncovered, stirring every once in a while, until all the liquid has evaporated and the pork fat as been rendered.
- Parts of the pork should be caramelized and golden brown. Remove the dutch oven from the stove and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve as needed or let cool and store in an airtight container for 4 days in the fridge
- To assemble the tacos, warm or char a small tortilla and place a few pieces of carnitas on top. Add a dollop of guacamole, a few pickled red onions, chopped onions, jalapenos and a sprinkle of cilantro. Serve immediately.