The Perfect Spaghetti Carbonara is coming your way!!
Guys. Prepare yourselves for the best news ever! Today is #CarbonaraDay – say whaaaaaat!! I’ve been perfecting my recipe ever since Thomas and I got back from Rome, and you can bet I’m re-creating it again tonight to celebrate! It’s so simple, but OMG it’s everything. Grab some spaghetti and some eggs, Pecorino Romano, Parmigiano Reggiano, pancetta and plenty of freshly cracked black pepper and you’re ready to roll. It’s an old recipe from culinary school that I dug up and I couldn’t be more excited!
It’s creamy and peppery and cheesy and it’s exactly what I want after a long week! Plus it takes only minutes to whip up!! Follow the directions to a T so you have the perfect results!
- 2 large eggs plus 2 large yolks, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano, plus more as needed
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, sliced into 1/3 inch square cubes
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Don't add the spaghetti yet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, yolks, Pecorino Romano and Parmesan. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add the pancetta, and sauté until the fat just renders, and it's crispy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cook the spaghetti until al dente. Just before pasta is ready, reheat pancetta in skillet. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water, then drain pasta and add to the skillet over low heat. Stir for a minute or so. Stir in cheese mixture, adding some reserved pasta water if needed for creaminess. Serve immediately, garnishing with a bit of additional grated pecorino and pepper.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!