Regular Banana Bread is amazing - but Double Chocolate Banana Bread is NEXT LEVEL!! Get ready - you guys are going to be obsessed.
Table of Contents
We've been baking a LOT these days so let’s get down to business shall we. This double chocolate banana bread is fantastic. It's made in 1 bowl, so super quick and easy. It's moist and chocolate-y and works for breakfast, snacks and dessert. And it's obviously stuffed with plenty of chocolate chips because that's the only smart way to eat banana bread. Then it’s just into a loaf pan and into the oven for about an hour and voila! Easy right? It’s genius if you ask me.
Chocolate Banana Bread Ingredients
- Overripe Bananas
- Unsalted Butter
- White Sugar
- Chocolate Extract or Vanilla Extract
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Kosher Salt
- Cocoa Powder
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
How to make Chocolate Banana Bread
Start by preheating your oven to 350°F. Next, spray a 9×5-inch metal loaf pan with a nonstick baking spray.
Then in a large stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until combined. Add the egg, scraping down the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is evenly incorporated. Add the extract and the bananas and mix for 30 seconds. The batter will look a little curdled, this is normal. Add the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Mix for a few seconds until the flour is evenly combined and stir in the chocolate chips.
Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 55 to 65 minutes. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before running a knife around the perimeter of the loaf pan and inverting the Chocolate Banana Bread loaf and transferring the loaf onto a cooling rack. Slice and serve as needed.
Variations and Substitutions
Chocolate Extract - if you can't find this at the store, vanilla extract will work just as well in this recipe
All-Purpose Flour - if you want to make gluten-free banana bread substitute the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free cup for cup flour substitute. I haven't tried coconut flour or almond flour with this Chocolate Banana Bread recipe so I can't say if it will work.
Tips & Tricks
It's worth noting here (although it's noted in the recipe) that it's best to use SUPER ripe bananas for this Chocolate Banana Bread recipe. So ripe that there are black spots all over the usually yellow banana peels. That means the bananas are going to be sweet and mushy and easy to incorporate into the batter.
If you don't have overly ripe bananas, but you do have yellow bananas on hand, I like to pop them into the freezer for a day to turn them brown. Then just take them out, thaw them and use for Chocolate Banana Bread as needed!
Why is my banana bread so moist?
Make sure you measure your flour out correctly. This recipe was developed by scooping and leveling the flour, so if you spoon and level your flour you're not going to end up with the right amount.
Can I substitute all-purpose flour with almond flour?
Almond flour is not a 1:1 ratio swap. If you're looking for gluten-free substitution to all-purpose flour the closest swap is a cup for cup gluten-free flour.
How to store banana bread?
Once your banana bread has completely cooled, store in a container with a fitted lid or one covered tightly with plastic wrap. These containers are my absolute favorite Glass Tupperware containers for storing leftovers. Keep the banana bread in the fridge until you’re ready to reheat the leftovers.
Can you freeze banana bread?
You can 100% freeze banana bread. In fact, I usually make a double batch with this banana bread recipe so I can save a loaf or two in the freezer. When we freeze our banana bread, we usually store tit in a ziplock freezer bag. There have been many times when I will be going through our freezer and come across a loaf that I had forgotten about, and its like the best surprise ever because I know what I will be having for breakfast or dessert for the next couple of days.
How long does banana bread last?
This is a hard question because we usually eat it so fast that is gone after two days. However if you do not devour it right away, banana bread lasts 4 days on the counter and up to a week when stored in the fridge. If you are going to freeze it then you can save it for about 4 months when stored in a ziplock freezer back or airtight container.
Similar Recipes to Chocolate Banana Bread:
- 85+ Outstanding Breakfast Ideas to Start Your Morning Off Right
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Double Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
If you tried this recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting today!
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 4 overripe bananas I like to stick ripe bananas in the freezer and then let them thaw before making banana bread so I always have overripe bananas on hand
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon chocolate extract, vanilla extract works too
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with a nonstick baking spray.
- In a large stand mixer, combine the butter and sugar and whip for 2 minutes until combined. Add the egg, scraping down the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is evenly combined. Add the extract and the bananas and mix for 30 seconds. The batter will look a little curdled, this is normal.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and mix for a few seconds until the flour is evenly combines. Add the chocolate chips and give it all a quick stir.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 55 to 65 minutes. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before running a knife around the perimeter of the loaf pan and inverting the banana bread and transferring the loaf onto a cooling rack. Slice and serve as needed.