Are you ready for Pizza Monkey Bread? It will change your life. Imagine a mini pull apart pizza with herbs and cheese and a warm pizza dipping sauce. Jackpot!!
I’ve seen Monkey Bread made from scratch or with pre-made biscuit dough and while each would be equally amazing in my book, but I’ve been experimenting with yeast doughs recently and decided to be bold and make the dough from scratch. Once the dough has been made, rested and done it’s thing, you then dunk it in butter, cheese, herbs and garlic. Try not to just pop it all in your mouth then because WHOA it’s amazing 🙂 Then stick these suckers in mini bundt pans and into the oven they go! A little while later you will have piping hot Pizza Monkey Bread ready to dip into red sauce. Hallelujah!
Pizza Monkey Bread
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2/3 cup Pecorino Romano cheese grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 5 scallions chopped
- 10 basil leaves chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup marinara or pizza sauce
- In a medium bowl, combine the bread flour, all purpose flour and salt. Set aside.
- Combine the active yeast and water in a mixing bowl fitted with a dough hook. Let it sit for a few minutes to make sure your yeast is working. Add the sugar and mix for a quick second. Add the flour mixture in batches, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Let the dough hook work its magic for 5-6 minutes until the dough has come together into a large mass. Remove the dough to an oiled bowl and let rise for 60 minutes.
- After an hour, remove the dough from the bowl and cut into small 1/2 inch cubes. Dust with flour to prevent them from sticking together. Set aside.
- Butter and flour 6 small bundt pans. (You could also use a large bundt pan)
- Melt the butter in a small bowl.
- Combine the cheese, herbs, salt/pepper and garlic in a large bowl. Add the melted butter and mix together with a spoon. Toss in the cut dough and make sure it all gets a coat of the butter mixture. Start layering the cubes into the bundt pans until they are 3/4 of the way full. Let sit for 30 minutes for the dough to rise a little more and while they are rising, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place bundt pans into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the bread and cheese is golden brown. Serve with warmed marinara sauce or pizza sauce.