Oh man you guys. We’re bringing back the breakfast muffins. Chocolate Chip Muffins are happening today and they are bringing me back to when I was a kid and I’d get a giant muffin every morning for breakfast!
Table of Contents
Did you guys grow up having sweets for breakfast? Is that normal? Or was it the Dalkin family sweet tooth coming out to shine at an early age? Regardless, I’m not mad at it! My parents both have a sweet tooth and it was absolutely passed down to me and my sister! We used to split one of those giant chocolate chip muffins every morning for breakfast and head off to school.
The muffins were almost cake like and dotted with plenty of chocolate chips. We’d heat them up in the microwave for 20 seconds so we could get them warm and taste all that deliciousness. They were MOIST and chocolaty, and I LIVE for the days when I get around to making some and can enjoy them for breakfast as an adult!
So naturally they deserve a place on WGC, right? Obviously! Let’s make them!
These couldn’t be easier and I bet you have the majority of the ingredients on hand this very minute. It’s the usual, vegetable oil, sour cream, eggs, milk, flour, sugar situation so you’ve probably got everything stocked right now!
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Muffins:
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Hot Water
- Vegetable Oil
- Sour Cream
- Chocolate Chips
How to make Chocolate Chip Muffins:
Combine the oil, eggs and milk in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in the sour cream and water to give it extra moistness and then chocolate chips and until evenly combined.
Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin liners. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown on top and a toothpick or knife can be inserted into the center of the muffin and comes out clean. Eat warm with a schmear of more butter or at room temperature.
Now that you know the secrets to making moist and delicious chocolate chip muffins, what are you waiting for? Get in the kitchen and bake up a batch (or two) of these tasty treats! And if you’re looking for more great muffin recipes, be sure to check out our other posts. We’ve got everything from healthy fruit-filled muffins to indulgent cinnamon streusel muffins – something for everyone! So what are you waiting for? Get baking!
Similar recipes to this chocolate chip muffins recipe:? Then try some of our other favorites:
- Blackberry Muffins
- Double Chocolate Chip Muffins aka chocolate chocolate chip muffins
- Blueberry Streusel Muffins
- Strawberry Muffins with Walnut Streusel
- Double Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
What you’ll need:
Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs plus 1 yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups chocolate chips divided
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin or a jumbo 6-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment, beat sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and yolk, and vanilla extract on medium until combined, about 30 seconds. Add water and beat until smooth. In three additions, add flour mixture, alternating with sour cream, until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add 2 cups of chocolate chips. Beat until just incorporated. Divide batter evenly between prepared muffin tin, filling paper liners all the way up. Sprinkle them with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake in the center of the oven until muffins have risen above the pan, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes for standard muffins, and 35 for jumbo.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.