More is more is my motto in life, especially when it comes to these Double Chocolate Chip Muffins. They bring me right back to when I was a kid and I’d get a giant Costco muffin every morning for breakfast!
These GIANT Double Chocolate Chip Muffins are everything. Literally grew up eating 1 giant muffin / splitting with my sister / for breakfast every morning. The top is the best part because it’s got that shiny and it’s so soft. We’d heat them up in the microwave for 20 seconds so the chocolate was just slightly melted and OMG it’s literally my childhood in a bite. Let’s be real – it’s essentially cake in a muffin tin, but who cares. Double chocolate all the time.
A few FAQ’s you might need to know:
How do you store these: in an airtight container in the fridge is my method of choice! They will last for about a week in the fridge. Or you can store them in the freezer for months on end but good luck letting them sit around that long. They’ll be long gone within a few weeks!
Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1⅔ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder divided
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs plus 1 yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2½ cups chocolate chips divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin or a jumbo 6-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a bowl, combine flour, ¼ cup cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk remaining cocoa powder and water together until smooth.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment, beat sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and yolk, and vanilla extract on medium until combined, about 30 seconds. Add cocoa powder mixture and beat until smooth. In three additions, add flour mixture, alternating with sour cream, until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add 2 cups chocolate chips. Beat until just incorporated. Divide batter evenly between prepared muffin tin, filling paper liners all the way up. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake in the center of the oven until muffins have risen above the pan, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes for standard muffins, and 35 for jumbo.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool slightly. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.