If you know me, I love a cookie. And I also LOVE a salad. It’s all about balance in my world and we’re coming in hot together with my latest and greatest. It’s a chopped greek salad. Not to be confused with a regular greek salad. We need a salad that we can shove in our mouth with a spoon. No need for a fork to pick up large pieces of lettuce. Let’s take an extra few minutes to chop that lettuce and then pile all the ingredients together for a masterpiece! Looking to make this a main course? Add in my tasty Greek Lamb Meatballs and you've got the perfect lunch or dinner! (If you are looking to indulge a little, these greek feta fries pair perfectly with this dish!)
Table of Contents
What is a traditional Greek salad made of?
Lettuce finely shredded
Scallions + Red Onion - just to give it a little punch and bring out a subtle onion flavor. A lot of greek salads have TONS OF red onions which are delicious but I find a little too overpowering when they are in abundance. So I like to do more scallions and then a sprinkling of red onion for color.
Cherry Tomatoes - mandatory addition!
Feta - I always buy the kind that comes in the brine. It has way more flavor and you can control the size of the chunks
Persian Cucumbers - I love these and stock them regularly because my daughter is obsessed with them. But truly, any chopped cucumber would be great
Fresh herbs - I opted for mint and dill as they play beautifully off all these other flavors. Basil would also be incredible in this recipe
A homemade vinaigrette - olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper and oregano. Simple and festive for this recipe!
What is the difference between a Greek and Mediterranean salad?
A Greek salad is the epitome of a classic Mediterranean dish, featuring tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, feta cheese and a simple vinaigrette dressing. Think of a Greek salad like an extra boost of flavor - it's always bright and flavorful, but not too complicated. On the other hand, a Mediterranean salad typically features more than just greens with proteins like fish and chicken added in for extra protein as well as additional veggies like red onions or bell peppers for crunch. You can also check out my Chickpea Chopped Salad if you're looking to add protein. It can also often contains grains such as quinoa or farro for added texture and complexity.
What lettuce is Greek salad made of?
Romaine Lettuce - always finely shredded. Its the only way to go here!
Pairs well with:
- Tzatziki Greek Fries
- Greek Lamb Meatballs with Tzatziki
- Chicken and Potatoes
- Greek Mezze Board
- Greek Chicken Stuffed Pitas
If you tried this recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting today!
Greek Chopped Salad
- 1 head romaine lettuce finely shredded
- 4 scallions finely shredded
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1¼ cup feta cut into small dice
- 2 Persian cucumbers small dice
- ¼ red onion sliced
- ¼ cup fresh mint finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh dill finely chopped
For the Greek Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Arrange all the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing and drizzle on top when ready to serve.
- Toss and serve immediately.
- This salad (without the Greek Vinaigrette) will keep for up to 4 days when stored in an air-tight container. When ready to eat pour the dressing over and toss before serving.