Raise your hand if you like carnitas!!
Keep it up if you like guacamole 🙂
And if you like pizza?
Okay. Basically we are new-found best friends and you should totally come over for dinner this weekend.
Carnitas and Guacamole Pizza is a game changer. It’s true. You’ll be begging for more of this cheesy and guacamole filled creation. Here’s how it happened…
I’ve been cooking up a storm because I leave for France on Friday and I’m scared that since I’ll be gone for 2+ weeks that my poor fiance will have nothing to eat. So I’ve been throwing things in the slow cooker and what not and then freezing individual portions for lunches and dinner. Who wins fiance of the year? Clearly I do 🙂 Kidding.
Anyways, so I made a big batch of carnitas the other day and I couldn’t just freeze them all. I think by now we’ve established that I am a carnita freak and I had to had a serving of these myself. So Thomas suggested tacos. I had other things in mind. Mainly pizza. Pizza with the shredded carnitas, spicy cheese, chipotle tabasco and lots and lots of guacamole. I mean, you could use a monterey jack cheese too… but I found this habanero laced cheese from Whole Foods the other day and it basically leaves your lips smoking hot, to which the solution is a perfectly chilled margarita. So that’s what we did. And the carnita pizza was born.
This is my go-to recipe for carnitas and you can whip up a batch of this and make it last for days. Or you can whip up a half batch and just make pizza. Either way, you’re going to fall in love. The key to the carnitas is freshly squeeze orange juice and your favorite salsa. And the addition of the chipotle Tabasco sauce in the guacamole makes for the perfect partner in crime.
So you should totally make this. Kthanksbye
- 1 1/2 pounds pork shoulder or pork butt, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup freshly squeezed Orange Juice
- 10 oz of your favorite salsa
- 2 Hass avocados
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 Lime, juiced
- Chipotle tabasco to taste (I used about 1 tsp)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package store bought pizza dough
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 2 cups shredded habanero cheese, or pepperjack cheese
- 1 recipe Gaby's Carnitas
- 1 recipe Gaby's Chipotle Guacamole
- In a large oven proof pan combine the cubed pork, stock, orange juice and salsa, this mixture should totally cover the pork, if not add a little water until the pork is submerged. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and simmer with the lid on for 3.5 hours, at which point the pork should be falling apart to the touch. Remove the lid and let the pork cook for about 20 minutes more until most of the liquid is evaporated. Remove the pan from the heat and shred the carnitas with 2 forks and set aside.
- Combine everything in a large bowl and mash together until half smooth and half chunky. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Roll the pizza dough out on a baking sheet until it fills the entire sheet. Spread the salsa on the pizza dough in place of pizza sauce. Top the salsa with the shredded cheese and transfer to the preheated oven for about 8 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and sprinkle on the cooked and shredded carnitas. Transfer the baking sheet back into the oven for 3-4 minutes more until the cheese is golden and the crust is fully cooked. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes. Top with guacamole and serve immediately.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!