I’m having a moment with crepes. Ham and Cheese Crepes specifically because they can be eaten at any time of the day and they are just straight up delicious.
I don’t know about you guys, but we don’t do a whole lot for Valentine’s Day. As in, I refuse to go out to dinner that night because it’s usually complete chaos. Does that make me a party pooper? I’m hoping not 🙂 Seeing as how Valentine’s Day falls on a weekend this year, I’m pulling out all the stops for our at-home-Valentine’s Day celebration. And it’s absolutely starting with Crepes!
I’ve been a crepe fan since forever, and going to France a few years back only amplified it! This batter is crazy easy, especially because it can be made ahead of time and then left to chill in the fridge until you’re ready to whip up something magical.
Given the option between sweet and savory crepes, 9 times out of 10 I’d pick savory. This Ham and Cheese Crepe situation is stuffed with shredded gruyere cheese, thin slices of prosciutto and then topped with shaved asparagus and radishes because it’s my attempt to make spring arrive as fast as possible. Alternatively you could swap out the savory filling ingredients and go for nutella and strawberries, or cinnamon sugar and bananas. OR if you’re feeling extra decadent then you make sweet + savory and call it a day! I mean, what else could you possibly ask for when it comes to Valentine’s Day breakfast?
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- additional butter for coating the pan
- Shredded Gruyere Cheese
- Thinly sliced Prosciutto
- Shaved asparagus
- Shaved radish
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients for the batter for 10 seconds until smooth. Place the batter into the fridge and chill for at least 1 hour and up to 48 hours.
- Heat a small non-stick skillet over medium high heat and add butter. Add ¼ cup of the batter into the center of the pan and swirl it around to create a large circle. Cook for 30 seconds and then flip. Cook for about 15 seconds and then remove to a clean flat surface. Continue to the remaining batter.
- Fill each crepe with the prosciutto and cheese. Fold the crepe in half and then half again. Transfer the finished crepe to a baking sheet. Once all the crepes are stuffed, transfer to a 350 degree oven and warm for 3 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Toss the shaved asparagus and radishes with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and serve on top.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!