I consider myself crazy lucky to have such an amazing relationship with my mom. She’s my best friend, confidant, sounding board plus the best advice giver out there. I am so bummed that I can’t spend Mother’s Day with her this year – but I’m here in LA and won’t be able to get up to Seattle for another few days and then we’ll celebrate a few days late. So in honor of Mother’s Day, I made her these Lemon Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze and I plan on eating all of them in her honor. Just kidding mom, I promise to curb it at 3 or 4 🙂
My mom’s been the best blog reader for the 4+ years I’ve been working on WGC. She comments daily, calls me with spelling mistakes, and helps me figure out what to make when I’m having total creative meltdowns. So Mom, I wanted to say thank you for a few things 🙂
Thank you for always being available for me.
Thank you for not hanging up on me when I call you 10 times a day.
Or when I call you just because I’m bored and I don’t want to be alone.
Thank you for always giving me the best advice and helping me figure out the smartest way to solve a problem.
Thank you for pushing me to be a better person and for sharing all your wisdom with me.
Thank you for dealing with moments of meltdown and helping me see the bigger picture.
Thank you for making me have that no thank you helping of guacamole all those years ago. And for helping me figure out what to write book #1 on and always encouraging me to follow my dreams.
Thank you for setting such a great example for me.
Thank you for always loving me even when I’m being completely unreasonable or ugly crying.
And most of all, thank you for being my best friend/best mom a girl could ask for!! Can’t wait to see you on Wednesday. Love you.
And now let’s make some Blueberry Scones.
This is one of my fav recipes that I first posted 3+ years ago… I’ve tweaked the recipe a bit and made it even better – so I hope you enjoy!
A big giant Happy Mother’s Day to all you fabulous moms out there. You guys have the hardest job ever – so I hope you get a day of pampering with lots of great food and big hugs.
Lemon Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter cold, grated
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 lemon zest finely grated
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream plus more for brushing the scones
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cups confectioners' sugar sifted
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar and gently whisk together. Add the grated cold butter to the dry mixture and toss to combine so the butter is evenly distributed.
- Fold the blueberries and lemon zest into the dry mixture. Make a well in the center and pour in the heavy cream. Fold everything together just to incorporate; do not overwork the dough.
- Form 12 medium sized mounds out of the dough. The size can vary depending on if you want to stretch the recipe to make more. Arrange them on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in the pre-heated oven for 16-20 minutes, or until the top just barely turned golden brown.
- Combine the lemon juice, powdered sugar and melted butter in a small bowl and whisk until no clumps remain. Once the scones have cooled, drizzle with the glaze and let cool.