More Italian inspiration coming your way!! I’m not quite ready to leave my Italy trip behind… in fact I’m currently plotting a way to move there for every summer in the foreseeable future! But until that happens, I’m bringing a little Italy into my kitchen with this Roman Zucchini Parrano Pizza!!
Pizza in Rome is served in rectangles and when you order they ask you how much you want and then cut rectangles or squares of the pizza off and serve it to you on a piece of paper so you can walk and eat at the same time.
It’s genius if you ask me. We sampled 4 different Roman pizzerias and tried just about every flavor combination possible. The zucchini REALLY stuck with me and seeing as how it’s zucchini bumper crop season, that’s what we’re making today. With Parrano Cheese…. NATURALLY!! My favorite!
I’ve been adding Parrano Cheese on everything since we last talked about it – you can find it in the specialty cheese section in your local Whole Foods Market. It’s still a staple in mac and cheese and chicken parm. I’ve also been shaving it and adding it to salads. Putting it on any and all forms of pasta, quinoa and farro. I can’t get enough. It’s perfectly nutty and delicious and it makes the base of this Zucchini Pizza extraordinary!
Roman Zucchini Parrano Pizza
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 3 cups Parrano cheese shredded
- 4-5 strips cooked bacon chopped
- 1-2 large zucchinis about 12 ounces, thinly sliced and cut into 1/4-inch-thick matchsticks
- Basil for garnish
- Lemon wedges for serving
For the Roasted Garlic Paste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parrano cheese
- 1 head garlic
- Pinch chili flakes
- Pre-heat your oven to 500 degrees. Combine the zucchini and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a small bowl and toss to coat. Transfer to a strainer and set over the bowl. Let rest for 30 minutes. Squeeze zucchini with your hands to remove all excess moisture. Transfer zucchini to a paper towel–lined plate and set aside until ready to use.
- Divide the pizza dough into 2 even pieces. Stretch each piece of dough onto a small baking sheet to create 2 rectangles. Once your 2 pizzas are ready, use a spoon to spread the roasted garlic paste all around the dough leaving a little bit for the crust.
- Top each pizza with half of the shredded Parrano cheese and then add the drained zucchini on top. Transfer the pizzas into the oven and bake for 12-13 minutes until the crust is golden and just crisp.
- Remove pizza from the oven and top with the chopped bacon. Season with salt and pepper and additional red pepper flakes and basil, slice and serve. Great with a little lemon juice on top.
For the Roasted Garlic Paste
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Trim the top of the head of garlic to expose the tops of the garlic cloves. Place the head of garlic on a piece of aluminum foil and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Wrap the head of garlic up in the foil and transfer to the oven to roast for 40 minutes.
- Once soft, remove the head of garlic from the oven and carefully pop out the individual garlic cloves into a bowl with the Parrano cheese. Add the remaining olive oil and red pepper flakes. Mash the mixture together with a fork and use as needed for the pizza. Also great for spreading on any toast!