Steak Tacos with Corn Salsa are my JAM this summer! Easy grilling + a delish salsa = game over!
Growing up in AZ meant we were right over the border from some of my favorite towns in Mexico, Puerto Penasco. There was always someone who was up for a quick weekend getaway which meant TACOS ALL DAY LONG!! Fish tacos. Steak tacos. Shrimp tacos. Octopus tacos… You name it… It was amazing. My idea of a perfect weekend getaway.
Today we’re making a version of my favorite street tacos from back in the day… Steak Tacos with Corn Salsa! Easy to make, even easier to eat! And the corn is like a burst of freshness in your mouth along with the marinated grilled steak. Ugh, I can’t even deal. It’s everything.
Steak Tacos with Corn Salsa
- 1 pound skirt steak
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle powder, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided and the zest reserved
- 6 green onions
- 2 ears corn, husked
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 8 small street taco sized flour tortillas
- Prepare an indoor or outdoor grill over medium-high heat. Sprinkle skirt steak on both sides with salt, pepper and and 1 1/4 teaspoons chipotle powder. Whisk 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon lime juice in 11×7-inch glass dish. Add meat and turn to coat. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush green onions and corn with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill vegetables until slightly charred, turning occasionally, about 2 minutes for green onions and 7 minutes for corn. Cut the corn from cob and transfer the kernels to a bowl. Chop green onions and add to corn. Stir in cilantro, chives, lime zest, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder, 1/2 tablespoon oil, and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Season relish to taste with salt and pepper.
- Grill the skirt steak to desired doneness, about 2 1/2 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to work surface; let rest 5 minutes.
- Char tortillas over an open flame.
- Thinly slice the skirt steak across grain. Divide skirt steak and juices equally among tortillas. Spoon corn mixture over each and serve.
Photo by Matt Armendariz / Food Styling by Adam Pearson / Recipe from What’s Gaby Cooking
Love the pictures! The tacos look delicious!
Corn relish and steak! Great combo!
Wow, I can nearly taste these just from looking at the screen they look so delish! I can see that this is something I’m going to have to try!
That corn relish is calling my name!
Want all the tacos!!! Mmm 🙂
I can’t wait for fresh corn to be ready. This looks awesome and could be used in so many ways!
I used flank steak instead which I marinated for two hours. Also, I used more green onions which I noticed made the flavors explode more. Fantastic thank you!
This is another reason to love summer even more!!
Making this tonight! I noticed in the ingredients, chipotle powder is listed, and in the recipe instructions chile powder is listed. Which should I use?
ah! good catch! chipotle
Holy cow – these are so so good!! Why don’t these get more attention as being a top WGC recipe?? The corn salsa pairs so nicely with the steak, and it’s so simple to make! 10/10
Made these last night and they were great! Loved the flavor of the meat. I added a little red onion to the corn salsa. Would also be great with a sprinkling of cojita cheese! Full family loved them – will certainly be making often. Thanks!
Honestly, this meal had the best flavors of any dish I’ve had outside of a restaurant. It’s the type of meal I would order over and over again. Thank you so much for the fresh, creative recipe!
Another great recipe! I made this for a small super bowl party and everyone loved it. Plus the leftovers are delicious! ❤️