Steak Tacos with Corn Relish are my JAM!
Growing up in AZ meant we were right over the border from some of my favorite towns in Mexico. There was always someone who was up for a quick weekend getaway which meant TACOS ALL DAY LONG!! Fish tacos. Steak tacos. Shrimp tacos. Octopus tacos… You name it… It was amazing. My idea of a perfect weekend getaway.
Today we’re making a version of my favorite street tacos from back in the day… Steak Tacos with Corn Relish! Easy to make, even easier to eat! And the corn is like a burst of freshness in your mouth along with the marinated grilled steak. Ugh, I can’t even deal. It’s everything.
Steak Tacos with Corn Relish
- 1 pound skirt steak cut into 4 pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle powder divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice divided and the zest reserved
- 6 green onions
- 2 ears of corn husked
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoon chopped chives
- 8 small corn or flour tortillas
- Prepare an indoor or outdoor grill over medium-high heat. Sprinkle skirt steak on both sides with salt, pepper and and 1 1/4 teaspoons chile powder. Whisk 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon lime juice in 11x7-inch glass dish. Add meat and turn to coat; place in single layer. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush green onions and corn with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill vegetables until slightly charred, turning occasionally, about 2 minutes for green onions and 7 minutes for corn. Cut the corn from cob and transfer the kernels to a bowl. Chop green onions and add to corn. Stir in cilantro, chives, lime zest, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder, 1/2 tablespoon oil, and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Season relish to taste with salt and pepper.
- Grill the skirt steak to desired doneness, about 2 1/2 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to work surface; let rest 5 minutes.
- Place tortillas at edge of grill to warm and soften, about 1 minute.
- Arrange 2 warm tortillas on each of 4 plates. Thinly slice the skirt steak across grain. Divide skirt steak and juices equally among tortillas. Spoon relish over each and serve.