Feel free to call me a Guacaholic. I won't be offended because it's absolutely true. As summer is fast approaching, I am ready to fire up my BBQ and get my grill on and make this Charred Corn Guacamole on repeat.
This past weekend I broke out the grill for a little dinner party and whipped up this Charred Corn Guacamole along with some Cowboy Steaks, Grilled Potato Skins and Grilled Chocolate Stuffed Bananas for dessert. Everything was a hit but my favorite dish of the night was the Corn Guacamole, typical. Will I ever tire of anything involving avocado? Probably not! Once upon a time, after I finished recipe testing my avocado themed cookbook, I took a few months off of the most perfect food in the whole wide world, but other than that my avocado obsession it STRONG! Anyways... back to the guac.
The addition of the grilled corn just gave it an extra pop. Every bite you got a little burst of flavor in your mouth and I even got really fancy and made homemade spiced tortilla chips because I'm the hostess with the mostess. You guys will love them!
Charred Corn Guacamole
For the Guacamole
- 3 Hass avocados
- ½ lemon juiced
- ½ lime juices
- 2 teaspoons chopped jalalpeño
- 1 ear of corn
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon cumin
For the Chips
- Vegetable Oil
- 5-6 Small Corn Tortillas
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Hot Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Cut the tortillas into 6 triangles each.
- Add the vegetable oil to a heavy bottom pan over high heat, about ½ inch deep. Once the oil is shimmering, add a few of the tortilla triangles at a time and fry for about 1 minute on each side until they are crisp.
- Meanwhile, combine the salt, and spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- Remove the chips from the oil and transfer to a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt mixture and let cool to room temperature.
- Brush the cleaned ear of corn with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place onto a heated indoor or outdoor grill and let sit for a 3 minutes or so on each side until slightly blackened. Remove from grill and let cool. Once cool, cut the kernels off and set aside.
- Combine the avocados, lemon juice, lime juice, jalalpeño, cumin, salt and pepper into a large bowl and mash together with a fork. Add the charred corn and combine. Serve with freshly made tortilla chips.
This sounds delish!! If I don’t have a bbq. How could I do the corn in my oven? Still use the olive oil and salt? And how long/hot?
you could char the corn on an open flame on the stove, or broil in the oven. Just cook until slightly charred
Totally a guacaholic and not even denying it...my roommates and I used to make guac almost EVERY single day last year because we were always craving it. And adding corn to guacamole makes it SOO amazing! Happened to win a guacamole contest with this secret addition 😉
Love the addition of corn to guacamole!
Just made this for a wine-tasting party and served it with spicy shrimp and chorizo skewers. Everyone loved it.
Where's the cumin? I don't see it in the ingredient list, or in the directions.
I could eat the whole bowl on my own! I love the addition of corn
Absolutely love this!! We use your cookbook all the time and every single guac is delicious!