Let's talk about bacon. Bacon Cotija Guacamole to be exact!
It's the only guacamole that will warm ya right up on these chilly winter days. Because there's warm bacon in it, and cheese... naturally!
Today's a bit of surprise! A whole slew of fab food bloggers wanted to surprise Bev and throw her a virtual baby shower - because she's about to pop out twins in just a few short weeks. So... SURPRISE BEV! This one's for you!
For those of you who don't read Bev's blog, Bev Cooks, you should! She has amazing recipes day after day that leave me salivating in front of my computer and wishing I was her neighbor!
For this baby shower celebration, I thought I'd bring one of my favorite things in the world... Bacon Cotija Guacamole. Because what's a baby shower without some guac?! One day when I have kids I want an entire baby shower with nothing but guacamole so I can gobble them all up and not feel the slightest bit guilty about it!
This one is coming to ya from my cookbook - which by the way, makes an excellent Christmas gift!
And be sure to check out all the crazy amazing things everyone else made to celebrate Bev and her beautiful soon to be born babies 🙂
Bacon Cotija Guacamole
- 4 strips bacon preferably uncured applewood-smoked bacon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped serrano chile pepper
- 3 Hass avocados
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup crumbled cotija cheese plus more if desired
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lay the bacon on the baking sheet in a single layer and transfer to the oven. Let the bacon cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until just crispy, turning the bacon over once in the middle of the cooking time. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the bacon to a paper towel–lined plate to cool. Once the bacon is cool enough to touch, chop it into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- Cut each avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit from the avocado and discard. Remove the avocado from the skin, and place the avocado flesh in a bowl.
- Add the cilantro, cotija cheese, serrano pepper, lime juice, salt, and pepper to the bowl. Mash with a fork until half smooth and half chunky. Fold in half of the bacon. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired. Garnish the guacamole with the remaining bacon, and add more crumbled cotija cheese if desired.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
This is the best kind of guac!! Love all the bacon 🙂
This looks so good, Gaby!
I'm all over this!!
Love the bacon in this guacamole!
This looks amazing - pinned!
What a great way to do guacamole!
I would love to be alone with a big bowl of this and some chips. Happy happy!
You are clearly the guac queen and this one looks so good!
Love this guac Gaby! Bacon and avocados are so meant to be together!
Is it possible to have a crush on guacamole? Cause I have it!
I want that entire bowl, with a vat of chips and an ice cold dos xx. Right now. Right. Right. RIGHT now! <3
In my face, please. This looks just amazing, Gaby.
Extra bacon (heck, extra all of it) for me please!
This sounds like the perfect combination of smooth, salt, and tanginess. Can't wait to eat this one!!