Shaking things up with some Thai Style Baby Back Ribs and a smashed cucumber / quick pickle salad today!
I've pretty much devised the most epic Labor Day menu and one thing is certain... there will be no shortage of food. It's coming next week - get ready! And you can bet that these ribs will be on it!
The ribs themselves are actually pretty easy. Just pop them in the oven as the instructions say and let them cook for about 2 hours until the meat is falling off the bone. Once that happens, they get glazed with the most delectable sweet and spicy thai sauce and grilled until just charred. I topped them with peanuts and fresh herbs because that's obviously the right thing to do. And then I serve them up with some smashed cucumbers that act as half salad and half quick pickle. They are the perfect accoutrement to the decadent Thai Style Baby Back Ribs as they are light and bright and a little acidic. Legit perfection. You won't want to miss these 🙂 People will be licking their fingers and asking for more!
Thai Style Baby Back Ribs (with Smashed Cucumber Salad)
- 2 racks of baby back ribs about three to three and a half pounds total
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
- ⅓ cup fish sauce
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced red fresno chiles
- 3 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh lemongrass
- 3 tablespoons torn basil
- Peanuts to garnish
For the Smashed Cucumber Salad
- 1 pound Persian cucumbers
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 3 scallions sliced
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Chili flakes
- Cilantro to garnish
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Place the ribs on a large baking sheet and season with salt and pepper and. Pour 1 cup of water into the baking sheet, and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 2 hours, until the meat nearly falls off the bone
- Prepare your grill to medium high. When the rib racks come out of the oven, let them cool for 20 minutes and then cut them into individual ribs. In a large bowl combine all the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Divide in half (place half on the side for drizzling) and toss the other half with the ribs to coat. Transfer the coated ribs on the grill and char for 5-7 minutes total. Sprinkle with extra basil and serve.
For the Cucumber Salad
- Gently smack cucumbers with a rolling pin or the bottom of a heavy pot until they begin to break apart. Tear into bite-size pieces. Transfer to a colander; toss with 1 teaspoon of salt. Let sit 10 minutes to drain excess liquid.
- In a medium bowl whisk the scallions, garlic, rice vinegar, sesame oil, sesame seeds and chili flakes. Add the smashed cucumbers. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and top with cilantro.