Peas on Pizza? I know, right? It’s kinda crazy but it’s actually out of this world delicious! I’m calling it now, Pesto Pea Pizza is about to be all the rage!
I’m counting down the days until Thomas and I have an actual backyard that can house a pizza oven… but until that day comes, I’m all about pizza on the BBQ or in my indoor pizza oven. A few weeks back we hosted a casual friday night pizza night and instead of running to the store to buy all new toppings, I used everything that was already in the fridge. Random blocks of cheese, all the veg, you name it. Highlight of the night was without a doubt this Pea Pesto Pizza that everyone was OBSESSED with.
You should absolutely make this, I promise you’ll be thrilled!
- 1 pound fresh pizza dough
- olive oil for brushing
- 1/3 cup Basil Vinaigrette
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh peas, blanched for 3 minutes
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Prepare a gas or charcoal grill to high heat. Brush the grill with a bit of oil.
- Shape the dough into a large pizza shape while on a clean floured surface. Let the dough sit for 5 minutes and then re-form to make sure it's as big as you'd like. Place the pizza dough on a lightly floured rimless baking sheet, or pizza peel.
- Transfer the dough over to the grill, and slide the pizza dough directly onto the grill. Grill the dough for about 2 minutes with the lid closed. Using a pair of tongs, lift the lid, and flip the dough over onto the other side and cook for about 2 minutes more. The dough should be golden brown with grill marks on both sides.
- Once the dough is cooked, remove it from the grill and place it back onto the baking sheet.
- Spread the basil vinaigrette on one side of the pizza, followed by the mozzarella, small dollops of ricotta and fresh peas. Carefully slide the pizza back onto the grill and grill for 2-3 minutes with the lid closed until the cheese has melted.
- Using tongs, remove the pizza from the grill and season with salt and pepper as needed. Slice and serve immediately.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!