It’s another double duty recipe today… Tomatillo Avocado Salad Dressing and you’re going to want this on regular rotation!!
I’m calling it a salad dressing because that’s how I roll, but honestly you could use this as a salsa, a sauce for meats and fish or veggies or a salad dressing. Possibilities are endless.
Roasted tomatillos are near and dear to my heart. I grew up eating them in salsa and sauces my whole childhood because #arizona. These days I roast them off and throw them on just about everything – and recently it’s this recipe!! I’ve used it to top my Quinoa Taco Bowls, I’ve thrown it on top of grilled chicken, it’s delicious on some freshly cooked salmon or sea bass…. I mean the list goes on. Dunk a chip into it! Add it to a crudité platter. And it’s perfect on top of any kind of salad. Depending on the need for it, you can thin out the recipe with a bit of water or not.
So there you have it… one recipe that works for dozens of applications. My kinda thing!!
Tomatillo Avocado Salad Dressing
- 1 pound tomatillos husked and rinsed
- ½ jalapeno you can remove the seeds if you want, or leave them in for an extra kick
- 1 small yellow onion quartered
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime juiced and zested
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove the husks from the tomatillos. Rinse under warm water well and wipe clean. Cut the tomatillos in half and place into a baking pan with the onions and jalapeno. Roast for 20 minutes until they are tender. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse for 1-2 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add a few tablespoons of water if needed until it’s smooth like a salad dressing.
- Serve as needed. Keeps in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
Photo by Matt Armendariz / Food Styling by Adam Pearson / Recipe from What’s Gaby Cooking
What a pretty dressing! Love this idea!
I’m not a huge avocado fan (gasp!) but this looks too good to pass up! : )
Salivating! And heading over now. This is a recipe I need. All the time. (I’m an avocado freak too)
Yum! So easy too. I always have chimichurri in the fridge too. That sauce makes anything good!
Love it. Avocado makes everything so creamy, yay!
Love anything avocado! Looks so good
I want to eat this up with a spoon! Why bother with lettuce 😉
Anything with avocado!!
You are totally speaking my language!
This is a must try, looks delish!
Another game day winner!!!
Can I freeze this?
avocados don’t really freeze all that well – so its best eaten fresh
Omg best salsa / sauce ever. Just made it and I am obsessed.