If you had to pick between eating off a plate or eating from a bowl, what would you choose? I’m team bowl 100% of the time. And because of that, these Chicken Tawook Quinoa Bowls are on the menu today and they are perfect!
There’s this Lebanese restaurant a few miles from our house that I’m obsessed with. They have the most tender, succulent, moist (ugh sorry, I had to use it) Chicken Tawook on the planet. I’ll drive by and even if I’m not hungry, I’ll make a quick pit stop and grab some chicken skewers to go. I can’t help it! It’s an addiction. But these days I’ve mastered Chicken Tawook in my home kitchen and I couldn’t be more excited. Throw it on top of a quinoa bowl loaded with quinoa (duh), hummus, garlic sauce, avocados, cucumbers and a bit of shredded lettuce and lunch or dinner is DONE! You can serve it up with a little extra pita because WHY NOT and be on your way to happiness.
Before we get to the recipe – let’s just talk about the garlic sauce for a hot second. One day I’ll make a recipe for it on the blog (there’s currently one in my most recent cookbook) because it’s basically equivalent to a drug. Beyond addictive. I don’t care if I radiate garlic out of my pores for the next 4 days… it’s everything to me. You can find a container of freshly made garlic sauce at most stores (Trader Joe’s just started carrying it) – and if you can’t find it, just substitute it out for a little homemade tzatziki and it will still be perf. In fact, just throw on some tzatziki regardless… MORE IS MORE!
Chicken Tawook Quinoa Bowls
For the Chicken:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 2 inch pieces
- fresh parsley
For the Bowls:
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup homemade Hummus
- store bought garlic sauce
- sliced Persian cucumbers
- 1 head romaine lettuce shredded
- served w/ a side of pita bread
- 1/2 cup homemade Tzatziki optional
- Whisk together the lemon juice, vegetable oil, plain yogurt, garlic, tomato paste, salt, oregano, paprika, pepper and allspice in a large bowl; add the chicken and toss to coat. Transfer the chicken mixture into a large plastic bag; refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil grate. Thread the chicken onto metal or wooden skewers. Cook on preheated grill until the chicken is golden and no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes each side. Sprinkle the parsley over the skewers.
- To assemble, divide the quinoa into 4 bowls and top with equal parts of avocado, hummus, garlic sauce, sliced cucumbers and shredded lettuce. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice if needed. Serve immediately.