Our trip to Morocco and these Moroccan Chicken Skewers have been on my mind recently and I’m ready to re-live that insanely incredible vacation through some of the flavor memories I brought home!
We all know it’s back to school season and our time is precious. I’m currently inundated with emails asking for quick and easy weeknight meals – so my mind is running a million miles a minute in that direction! A few things I think of when thinking of easy weeknight meals:
1- is there a way to do some prep in the morning that makes dinner even easier?
2- what’s the fastest and most delicious way to cook something?
3- is this a recipe that kids can get behind?
4- are the ingredients in the recipe easy to use for another meal later that same week to save on groceries?
These Moroccan Chicken Skewers fit all of the above criteria and are marinated in a Greek Yogurt mixture (Stonyfield obviously always and forever as it's my go-to trusted brand and it's organic with high quality ingredients!) filled to the brim with turmeric, crushed red peppers, tomato paste, tons of garlic and lemon among other things, so the grilled chicken is incredibly moist and retains that great color from the turmeric plus tons of flavor.
If you’ve never used turmeric before - these Moroccan Chicken Skewers are a great way to incorporate it into your repertoire. Here’s the run down for those of you not familiar with it – it’s from the ginger family, it’s bright yellow/orange, and has a subtle flavor that lends itself to condiments, curries, marinades, dressings, and it’s especially fantastic on CHICKEN!! It really shines in Greek Yogurt so that’s where you’ll see it most often for me here on WGC.
What you’ll need:
Moroccan Chicken Skewers
For the chicken:
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 cup Stonyfield Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 lemon cut into wedges/sliced for serving
- 2 ¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs and/or breasts cut into 1 ¼-inch cubes
- Warm pita bread
- Extra Stonyfield Greek Yogurt
- Chopped tomatoes
- Fresh mint leaves
- Combine the crushed red pepper and ground turmeric in large bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons of hot water and let stand for 5 minutes. Add the Stonyfield Greek yogurt, olive oil, red wine vinegar, tomato paste, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon black pepper to spice mixture in bowl; whisk to combine. Stir in garlic and lemon juice, then chicken. Cover and chill for AT LEAST 1 hour. I do for 4 minimum and yes you could do overnight if you prefer
- Prepare the grill over medium-high heat. Thread chicken pieces on skewers, dividing equally.
- Discard marinade in bowl. Sprinkle each skewer with salt and pepper.
- Grill chicken until golden brown and cooked through, turning skewers occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes total. Transfer skewers to platter. Serve with serving suggestions and extra lemon wedges
Is there a substitute for red wine vinegar?
Forgot to mention in my comment that in addition to substituting salmon for chicken, I put the salmon on skewers with red pepper, onion, and mushrooms and put the marinade on the veggies. I served the skewers over short grain brown rice instead of bread.
Made it with salmon. Didn’t use garlic. It was delicious.