Exciting things are happening tomorrow! See if you can guess.. this Moroccan Chicken Skewers recipe is a major clue….
These Moroccan chicken skewers have been on my mind recently! It probably has to do with the fact that it’s back to school season and I’m inundated with emails asking for quick and easy weeknight meals – so my mind is running a million miles a minute in that direction! If there’s a skewer in my eyesight, you can bet I’ll find a way to use it. It’s a fun way to put dinner on the table and I’ve been doing it since forever. Skewered meals were big when I was a private chef because you just throw a bunch of stuff onto a stick and then grill it until it’s perfect! The most delicious recipes come when proteins or veggies are marinated and then grilled – that’s the recipe for success.
These Moroccan Chicken Skewers are marinated in a yogurt mixture filled to the brim with turmeric, crushed red peppers, tomato paste, tons of garlic and lemon among other things, so the grilled chicken is incredibly moist and retains that great color from the turmeric plus tons of flavor. Also, I don’t know about you, but I’ve been seeing turmeric EVERYWHERE. On every menu. Always. Here’s the run down for those of you not familiar with it – it’s from the ginger family, it’s bright yellow/orange, and has a subtle flavor that lends itself to condiments, curries, marinades, dressings, and it’s especially fantastic on CHICKEN!!
So have at it!! And stay tuned to instagram tomorrow to see where I end up!
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges/sliced for serving
- 2 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken (thighs and/or breasts), cut into 1 1/4-inch cubes
- Warm pita bread
- Labneh or tzatziki
- Chopped tomatoes
- Fresh mint leaves
- Combine the crushed red pepper and ground turmeric in large bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons of hot water and let stand for 5 minutes. Add the yogurt, olive oil, red wine vinegar, tomato paste, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon black pepper to spice mixture in bowl; whisk to combine. Stir in garlic and lemon juice, then chicken. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Prepare grill over medium-high heat. Thread chicken pieces on skewers, dividing equally. Discard marinade in bowl. Sprinkle each skewer with salt and pepper.
- Grill chicken until golden brown and cooked through, turning skewers occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes total. Transfer skewers to platter.
- Serve with serving suggestions and extra lemon wedges
** This post is brought to you by McCormick. All content, ideas, and words are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that allow me to create new and special content like this for What’s Gaby Cooking**
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!