We’re still sticking to our healthy new years resolutions and keeping things bright, colorful and fresh today with these Chipotle Chicken Lettuce Wraps
12 days into the new year and I’ve been sticking to my clean eating recipes like whoa!! That is until this past weekend when I was down at my best friends house and had a moment with this peanut butter pie! Whoops. But I’m back on track (at least for a few more days until we start prepping for the Super Bowl) and I’m feasting on these Chipotle Chicken Lettuce Wraps. They are everything I look for in a recipe, colorful, fresh, packed full of flavor and inspired by one of my current favorite people, Chrissy Tiegen.
Can we talk about the fact that I have a major girl crush on her? I can’t really call her a friend (yet, I mean we both share a serious love for all things avocado so obviously we’d get along fab) but seeing as how she has a food blog we’re basically kindred spirits. I mean, if you don’t follow her on twitter you’re 100% missing out. Anyways, a while back she was tweeting about this chipotle chicken situation going on in her kitchen and it promoted a quick trip to the store and then I was back in my kitchen whipping up these Chipotle Chicken Lettuce Wraps. I loaded them up with avocado (duh), mango, red onion and a squeeze of lime juice. They are the perfect bite all wrapped up in some butter lettuce. Flour tortillas would also be fab!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3-4 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut in half
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 mango, cut into thin strips
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- fresh mint
- fresh cilantro
- 1-2 limes, juiced
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Put the ingredients for the marinade in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Coat the chicken thighs in the marinade and refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
- After marinating, Heat an indoor or outdoor grill to about 400 degrees F (medium high heat). Place the chicken onto the grill and grill 5 to 6 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile - clean the butter lettuce and separate it into cups.
- Combine the mango, red onion, bell pepper, avocado, mint, cilantro and lime juice in a bowl and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the lettuce cups with a piece of chicken, a few tablespoons of the topping and serve with extra limes if needed.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!