These Chipotle Chicken Lettuce Wraps with a mango avocado slaw topping are legit out of this world!
Let’s get right into it today. I love a lettuce wrap. Yes, they are messy but who cares. They are fun to eat, easy to make and HEALTHY which is exactly what I’ve been craving this past week. They are light, bright, super flavorful and a little bit smoky because of the chipotles in adobo. These Chipotle Chicken Lettuce Wraps work as dinner or a heavy appetizer. Just lay everything out on a giant platter and let people DIY their own creations.
It’s also great because while the recipe below says to marinate for 1-4 hours, you technically could get away with marinating these in the morning before you head off to work… and then cooking once you get home! You’re welcome 🙂 And if you can’t get your hands on mango, you could use peaches, nectarines, or anything flavorful stone fruit that’s at the peak of it’s season! Always thinking of how to make your lives easier! Have at it!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3-4 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut in half
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 2 mangos, cut into thin strips
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- fresh mint
- fresh cilantro
- 1-2 limes, juiced
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Put the ingredients for the marinade in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Coat the chicken thighs in the marinade and refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
- After marinating, Heat an indoor or outdoor grill to about 400 degrees F (medium high heat). Place the chicken onto the grill and grill 5 to 6 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile - clean the butter lettuce and separate it into cups.
- Combine the mango, red onion, bell pepper, avocado, mint, cilantro and lime juice in a bowl and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the lettuce cups with a piece of chicken, a few tablespoons of the topping and serve with extra limes if needed.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!