I’m REALLY into eggplant at the moment. After dinner last night at Zahav, I don’t think that’s going to change anytime soon. So Eggplant and Herb Flatbread is happening today to celebrate!
Yesterday after my cookbook signing in Philly, I wandered over to Zahav which was easily one of the best meals I’ve had all year. It was picture perfect. I can’t stop thinking about it! They had the most incredible eggplant salad to start the night and I was hooked. I’m counting down the days until I can plan a trip to Israel and eat my way through the country.
And in the meantime, I’ll just bring the flavors of Israel to me! This Eggplant and Herb Flatbread is LEGIT! It makes for an excellent dinner, a perfect appetizer, easy lunch or snack. Basically any time of the day. There’s an incredible eggplant dip that gets slathered on top (side note – I keep any extra in the fridge to eat with crudite!) and then topped with all sorts of herbs, crumbled feta and salt/pepper. If you wanted to add some pomegranate seeds, I wouldn’t be mad! It’s going to be making an appearance on my table all summer long because it’s light and refreshing and totally unexpected! Enjoy!
Eggplant and Herb Flatbread
For the Tahini Eggplant Dip
- 2 lbs eggplants
- 6 cloves garlic
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup tahini
- Kosher salt to taste
For the Flatbread
- 1/2 pound pizza dough
- 1 bunch scallions sliced on a hard angle
- 1 large handful of mint parsley and basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- ½ cup feta crumbled
- Prick the eggplant all over with a fork. Roast them under the broiled until all sides of the skin are blackened and they are soft. Place the eggplant into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside to cool for 45 minutes.
- Peel the eggplants and chop the insides, discarding the skin and add to a clean large bowl.
- Finely mince the garlic, adding a few pinches of salt as you mince to combine. Add to the eggplant. Add the cumin, paprika, olive oil and lemon juice to the eggplant and stir to combine. Add the tahini, stir to combine. Taste and adjust salt and lemon juice as needed.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the dough thin into a rectangle about the size of a sheet pan. Transfer to an oiled baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil. Bake 8-12 mins till golden. Remove from oven and slather with the eggplant mixture.
- In a small bowl combine the scallions, mint, parsley and basil and toss with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and toss. Add the herb mixture over the eggplant layer and finish with the feta. Serve immediately.