It’s not every day that you encounter a side dish that blows your mind… but today is that day. Grilled Green Beans are the veggie of summer and they’re everything!
If you have a copy of my most recent cookbook, then you know I’ve had a love affair with a green bean recipe before. My Omi’s green beans are literally candy. I bribed her with love and hugs to let me share the recipe in my cookbook, she happily obliged. I’ve been eating them that way for the past few years and I’ll put down a pound of green beans in any sitting.
Since summer is almost upon us, and I don’t want to spend a second more than I have to inside, I’m moving most of my cooking to the grill and GRILLING GREEN BEANS. I know, you’re like how do you grill green beans. Obviously, I’m about to tell you in the recipe below. But know this – you might never want to make green beans any other way ever again. I’ve gone ahead and jazzed these up with a ton of fresh herbs, a punchy vinaigrette, plenty of crumbled feta, some radishes for an extra crush and a few other odds and ends. All in all, it’s perfect. Grilled Green Beans, get on it!
Grilled Green Beans
- 1 pound haricot vert ends trimmed as needed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus extra for grilling green beans
- Maldon salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives plus more for garnish
- 10 mint leaves plus more for garnish
- 3 multi-colored radishes thinly sliced
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 avocado sliced into thin wedges
- ½ cup cooked farro
- ½ cup sheet feta crumbled into large chunks
- Heat your grill to high heat.
- Combine haricot verts, a few tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- To make the dressing, combine the juice of one lemon, the zest of the lemon, red wine vinegar, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, dill and chives and season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Grill the green beans on high heat until they begin to char slightly, about 3-4 minutes on each side, but make sure you don't overcook them.
- Transfer the grilled green beans to a large bowl and toss with vinaigrette, whole mint leaves, red onions, radishes, feta and farro. Toss to combine. Transfer to a serving platter and tuck the avocado into the salad. Garnish with additional herbs and serve.