Get ready for a 50/50 Mushroom Beef Burger with Fajita Veg and Guacamole!
Does anyone remember when I was obsessed with the 50/50 bacon and beef burger 10 years ago? There was a small butcher shop here in LA that did a 50/50 bacon and burger grind and it made the most insane burgers. My grill would light on fire half the time from the excess fat from the bacon, but man was it good! These days we’re keeping things a litttttttle bit healthier with a 50/50 burger and mushroom blend. These are EXTRAORDINARY! The mushrooms give the burgers even more flavor and keep things extra juicy… and dare I say it…. moist. Considering mushrooms are usually used as meat replacements in so many veg recipes… it makes total sense! Take them for a whirl this weekend over Memorial Day and then get ready for a slightly healthier spin on burgers for the rest of grilling season!
And word to the wise: if you prefer a slightly less mushroom mixture, you can do 75% beef and 25% mushroom and they will still be delish!
And while the below recipe calls for Crimini Mushrooms, really any mushroom will work. Just be sure to trim the stalk, wipe off any dirt, remove the gills if using Portobellos and then have at it! I tested it with shiitakes recently and it was incredible.
50/50 Mushroom Beef Burger
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms, pulsed until finely chopped in a food processor
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
For the Toppings
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1-2 avocados, smashed and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 4 slices pepperjack cheese
- 4 buns, toasted
- Transfer the ground beef and chopped mushroom to a large bowl. Add in the taco seasonings, parsley, salt and pepper. Using your hands, incorporate everything together. Form the mixture into two 1/2"-thick patties
- Grill mushroom beef burgers over medium heat until medium, roughly 4-6 minutes per side. Add the cheese for the last minute to melt
- In a skillet, cook the peppers and onions fajita style until soft.
- Serve each patty in a burger bun topped with sauteed fajita veggies and equal amounts of smashed avocado.