These super chewy Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies are loaded with that tart lemon flavor and the subtle sweetness from the white chocolate chips! They are not to be missed.
A few weeks back when we were in Portland, I snagged about a dozen of assorted mini cookies from a local bakery from the Portland Farmers Market and proceeded to eat all of them before noon. They were incredible!
Surprisingly my usual fav – a traditional chocolate chip cookie – was NOT my favorite of the day! The one that stood out was a Lemon Sugar Cookie. It was glorious!! The lemon and the butter and the sugar combo = perfection. Soft, chewy, tart, sweet, all of the things you look for in a cookie!
As soon as we got back to Los Angeles, I decided that I needed to recreate it but obviously make it even better. I added the white chocolate chips, amped up the lemon and played with the sugar ratio! MORE IS ALWAYS MORE when it comes to cookies. These Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies are equal parts chewy, citrusy and sweet. The edges are just slightly crispy while the inside is soft and chewy. If you ask me that’s how every cookie should be!
What happens if you don’t have lemon extract on hand, you can use 1 tablespoon of lemon zest! If you don’t have white chocolate chips on hand, go to the market. Regular semi-sweet or dark chocolate chip won’t have the same balance as the white chocolate in this instance. If you’re into a little citrus in your baked goods, I can guarantee you guys are going to absolutely loves these!
Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 ounces white chocolate chips
- In a large mixer beat together the butter and sugars until creamy. Add the egg and lemon extract beat until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt and combine until everything is just combined. Turn the mixer on the slowest speed and add the white chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or sil-pats.
- Using a 2 tablespoon scoop, scoop the dough onto the baking sheets. Bake for 9-11 minutes. Once you remove the cookies from the oven, tap the baking sheet on the counter to release any air bubbles. Transfer cookies from baking sheet to a cooling rack until cooled. Repeat with any remaining dough
- Store cookies in an air-tight container or zip top back in the fridge for 1-2 weeks, or in the freezer indefinitely!