We’re knee deep in Thanksgiving recipes here on What’s Gaby Cooking but let’s not forget about the meals pre and post feast! The whole family is in town so we’ve gotta make something that satisfies everyone from my grandparents to my cousins so I’m bringing back a childhood favorite… Schinkennudeln!
I can’t even begin to describe the memories that Schinkennudeln brings back for me. It was our favorite dinner and my mom is the best at making it. Mine comes out equally as delish but there’s something really special about my mom or omi (grandma) making it for me (also they do the dishes which is an added bonus!). In its simplest form this is a ham and cheese pasta. It’s easy, inexpensive and perfect for a crowd. I’m pumped to be teaming up with the National Pork Board over the coming weeks to share my favorite holiday moments and bring you some of my favorite pork inspired recipes like this one! And we’re making Schinkennudeln because its 1: awesome, 2: brings back all the memories 3: who doesn’t love ham and cheese and 4: it’s the simplest way to celebrate having my family in one place for the holidays!
All you need are a few things to get the ball rolling. Pasta – duh. I like to use orecchiette because they are like little ears of pasta with an indent that’s perfect for catching bites of ham and cheese so each bite is loaded with plenty of flavor. Ham – naturally. It’s the star of the dish! Frozen Peas – because mom always wanted us to have a few veggies. And some CHEESE, because why not! Trust me when I tell you that you’ve gotta try it!! And come tune into Facebook live on Wednesday because I’m making it from start to finish!! 11am PST. Be there or be square!
And there will absolutely be some reminiscing going on because all I think about when I make this dish is my sister and I sitting at the kitchen counter chanting “Schinkennudeln, Schinkennudeln, Schinkennudeln,” over and over and over again when my mom made dinner. It’s that good you guys. (also how could you say no to these faces?)
PS!! This year the National Pork Board has a Pork Be inspired Facebook bot which will connect you to the perfect pork recipe for any holiday moment. Follow Pork Be inspired on Facebook and click “message” to talk to the Bot. Or you can browse through even more pork recipes, tips and more at www.PorkBeinspired.com. You can also check out “Make it a Moment” video(s) on the Pork Be Inspired Facebook page, as well as fresh content from our “Moment Makers,” (like me!) including Facebook Live recipe demos (coming on Wednesday!)
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- 3/4 pound orecchiette
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water (reserved from cooking the pasta)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup grated Colby jack cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat a large pot of water over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving ½ cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet on medium heat until melted. Add the shallot and sauté for 3-4 minutes until fragrant. Add the chopped garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in the cubed ham and the frozen peas and toss to combine.
- Add in the reserved pasta cooking water and then the pasta and 2 varieties of cheese. Season with salt and pepper and lemon zest. Toss to combine and serve as needed.
** This post is brought to you by the National Pork Board. All content, ideas, and words are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that allow me to create new and special content like this for What’s Gaby Cooking**
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!