I’ll be honest, it’s too hot to cook. So what’s a girl to do when you’re craving something light and refreshing without having to do any cooking? Vegetarian Avocado Sushi Bowls!! Perfect for an easy Summer Friday!
Here’s the deal. We’ve got sushi rice (which you can easily make in an instant pot or rice cooker so you don’t have to turn your stove on!) that’s seasoned with rice wine vinegar – step 1!! We’ve got PLENTY of my favorite Mission Avocados – step 2! Then add that all the fresh crunchy vegetables like cabbage, cucumbers, edamame, mango and carrots – step 3! Finish it all off with a herby soy dressing and voila! The most perfect Vegetarian Avocado Sushi Bowls you could imagine. And yes, of course you could add some raw or cooked fish to this, dealers choice.
Not a day goes by without an avocado in the What’s Gaby Cooking world. It’s been that way since as far back as I can remember. I mean, remember back in 2012 when I was recipe testing my Absolutely Avocados cookbook and I’d hose 3-4 avocados a day…. clearly I was onto something.
Avocados are just a way of life in this household and on this website!
You’ve seen them grace chips and dip, get added into bowls, topped on a burrito… you name it, I’ve done it. They are the ideal ingredient for your summer recipes! Today they are front and center in this cooling and refreshing Vegetarian Avocado Sushi Bowls and I am here for it! Mission Avocados are loaded with healthy fats, keep you full longer and just taste downright amazing. They can take on any number of flavor profiles and you know I’m all about that multipurpose life.
They are standing in for any fish in these sushi bowls today as I’m keeping it light and bright and summer friendly! So cheers to the weekend! This feels like the perfect way to ease into a lazy weekend at home. Friday night dinner is handled! Make these, you won’t be disappointed!
Vegetarian Avocado Sushi Bowls
For the Sushi Rice
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
For the Vegetables
- 2 Mission avocados
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup Persian cucumbers, diced
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 cup cubed mango
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup finely sliced scallions
- pickled ginger
For the Dressing
- 4 tablespoons snipped chives
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- sesame seeds for garnish
- Cook the sushi rice according to the package directions. Once the rice is fully cooked, remove it from the rice cooker and place into a large bowl. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar and toss. Divide into 4 serving bowls
- Slice the avocados in half and carefully remove from the peel. Keeping the avocados cut in half, carefully slice them lengthwise and then gently place in individual bowls
- Add equal piles of the prepped vegetables and scallions to the rice bowls, not on top of the avocado. Add large pinches of the pickled ginger
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chives, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and honey. Drizzle the bowls with the prepared dressing and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top. Serve
** This post is brought to you by Mission Avocados. All content, ideas, and words are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that allow me to create new and special content like this for What’s Gaby Cooking**
Oh how I just love all this fresh goodness, and not turning on my stove or oven!! Perfection.
This have become one of my regular meals!! I love how easy it is to put together and it is so beautiful and delicious!!!