Let’s talk about bacon. Bacon Cotija Guacamole to be exact!
It’s the only guacamole that will warm ya right up on these chilly winter days. Because there’s warm bacon in it, and cheese… naturally!
Today’s a bit of surprise! A whole slew of fab food bloggers wanted to surprise Bev and throw her a virtual baby shower – because she’s about to pop out twins in just a few short weeks. So… SURPRISE BEV! This one’s for you!
For those of you who don’t read Bev’s blog, Bev Cooks, you should! She has amazing recipes day after day that leave me salivating in front of my computer and wishing I was her neighbor!
For this baby shower celebration, I thought I’d bring one of my favorite things in the world… Bacon Cotija Guacamole. Because what’s a baby shower without some guac?! One day when I have kids I want an entire baby shower with nothing but guacamole so I can gobble them all up and not feel the slightest bit guilty about it!
This one is coming to ya from my cookbook – which by the way, makes an excellent Christmas gift!
And be sure to check out all the crazy amazing things everyone else made to celebrate Bev and her beautiful soon to be born babies 🙂
- 4 strips bacon (preferably uncured applewood-smoked bacon)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped serrano chile pepper
- 3 Hass avocados
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese, plus more if desired
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lay the bacon on the baking sheet in a single layer and transfer to the oven. Let the bacon cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until just crispy, turning the bacon over once in the middle of the cooking time. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the bacon to a paper towel–lined plate to cool. Once the bacon is cool enough to touch, chop it into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- Cut each avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit from the avocado and discard. Remove the avocado from the skin, and place the avocado flesh in a bowl.
- Add the cilantro, cotija cheese, serrano pepper, lime juice, salt, and pepper to the bowl. Mash with a fork until half smooth and half chunky. Fold in half of the bacon. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired. Garnish the guacamole with the remaining bacon, and add more crumbled cotija cheese if desired.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
Gruyère Gougères from Shaina Olmanson
Lemon Risotto Tarts from Kelly Salemi
Goat Cheese Crostini with Pesto and Roasted Red Peppers from Liz Della Croce
Spinach and Feta Quinoa Bites from Aggie Goodman
Roasted Red Grape, Brie and Rosemary Flatbread from Laurie McNamara
The Fastest Appetizer Ever from Brooke McLay
Apple Pear Tart – Two Ways from Sarah Glyer
Chocolate Chai Frappe from Brandy O’Neill
Cherry Chocolate Kiss Smoothie from Amy Flanigan
Cranberry Sorbet Bellini – Non-Alcoholic and Alcoholic from Megan Keno
Peppermint Mocha Affogato from Christina Lane
toasted marshmallow cream hot chocolate from Jessica Merchant
Pomegranate Lemonade Punch from Heather Christo
Kale Salad with Pomegranate, Orange and Pine Nuts from Rachel Gurk
Pear Cranberry Arugula Salad from Tracy Benjamin
Brussels Sprout Salad + maple roasted cranberry dressing from Katie Unger
Gluten-Free Pasta Salad from Lisa Thiele
Hearty Roasted Winter Vegetable Salad with Honey Ginger Dressing from Heather Disarro
Winter Citrus Salad from Catherine McCord
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Chicken Sausage Pasta from Heidi Larsen
Eggplant Parmesan Lasagna from Joanne Ozug
cheesy chicken enchilada ‘double’ stacks from Lauren Grier
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup from Kevin Lynch
Thai Spiced Chicken with Coconut Cream Swiss Chard from Brandi Evans
Sausage and Red Pepper Quiche from Tasty Kitchen
Roasted Red Pepper Pasta with Goat Cheese from Julie Deily
Soft and Chewy Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies from Averie Sunshine
Glazed Dulce de Leche Pound Cake from Meagan Micozzi
Mississippi Mud Pie Brownie Ice Cream from Megan DeKok
Buttermint Frosted Sugar Cookie Cups from Shelly Jaronsky
4-Ingredient Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies from Ali Ebright
Sweet Potato Creme Brulee from Brian Samuels
Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Mint Cookies from Aimée Wimbush-Bourque
Mini Chocolate Stout Cheesecake with Salted Beer Caramel Sauce from Jackie Dodd
Red Velvet Hi Hat Cookies from Kristan Roland
Double Chocolate Panini from Kathy Strahs
Images reprint from Absolutely Avocados and were taken by the glorious Matt Armendariz!
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!