Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Nothing screams comfort food quite like mac and cheese! If you’re going to take the time to make mac and cheese, I mean the one that gets baked in the oven, and you’re going to incur the wrath of the fat gods, then you might as well make it right. Yup, you’re going to need to stuff that dish full of different cheeses, make an extraordinary béchamel sauce to coat the pasta, and then top the dish with some homemade breadcrumbs before sticking it into the oven. About 100 bazillion calories later, you will have a perfect mac and cheese. Okay, so it’s not really a 100 bazillion calories, but let’s be honest here, this certainly isn’t a low fat option.
If you’ve got a gaggle of kids coming over for Thanksgiving this year, or even if you’re a mac and cheese lovin’ adult, this recipe will not disappoint!
Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (homemade preferred)
- 5 cups milk
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Gruyère
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss Cheese
- 1 pound short cut pasta
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a large casserole dish with non stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the milk over medium heat.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Once the butter has melted and starts to bubble, ad the flour and whisk until the flour is fully incorporated.
- Continue to whisk and add the hot milk slowly. Whisk for about 1o minutes until the milk and flour mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and add the salt, nutmeg, pepper, cayenne, white cheddar, Gruyère, and Swiss cheese. Stir to combine until the mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- Boil a large pot of water. Cook the short cut pasta 1 minute short according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and then rinse with cold water. Stir the pasta into the cheese mixture and then pour the pasta into the prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the top with the homemade breadcrumbs and bake for about 25-30 minutes until the edges just begin to brown. Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes before serving.
And be sure to check out some other great ideas for Thanksgiving:
Parmesan Cheddar Chive Biscuits
Rustic Herb Skillet Stuffing
Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes
The Best Mashed Potatoes
Crispy Lemon Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Cumin Roasted Cauliflower
Potato and Goat Cheese Gratin
Zesty Cranberry Sauce
Roasted Turkey Breast
Spicy Garlic Green Beans
Tags: best mac and cheese, creamy mac and cheese, gruyere mac and cheese, holiday mac and cheese, holiday pasta dish, mac and cheese, mac and cheese recipe, Macaroni and Cheese, macaroni and cheese recipe