Changing your ketchup game with a homemade ketchup recipe that you’ll go nuts for!
Back in my private chef days we were big ketchup eaters. And by we, I really mean me and the kids from the family I was cooking for. We love ketchup. We put it on our grilled cheese, eat it with mashed potatoes, drizzle it on potato gratin – you name it and I’m pretty sure we’ve tried it! And then one day we decided to make it ourselves and the world changed. It was TOTALLY SIMPLE and I’m never going to have to buy the stuff from the store again.
Until this day I whip up this slightly spicy homemade ketchup on a monthly basis and then eat it with roasted some potatoes or a grilled cheese or some fun hot dogs… you name it! This ketchup is fair game 🙂
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 28-oz can tomato purée
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Saute the onion until for 5 to 8 minutes until translucent. Add in the garlic and stir together. Add the tomato purée, brown sugar, vinegar, tomato paste, salt, mustard, cloves, allspice, red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper and stir to combine. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 to 60 minutes until it is thick like ketchup.
- Using an immersion blender, food processor or blender, puree the mixture until smooth.
- Adjust seasonings if needed and pour ketchup into a container and seal. Can be refrigerated for up to 1 month.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!