Cobblers are probably one of my all time favorite desserts. I think it’s because I convince myself I’m eating just fruit and then I don’t really think about the sugar or butter that goes along with it 🙂 Well, I guess it doesn’t really matter, because there is just no way I could ever say no to a cobbler. Especially one that is stuff with fresh peaches and blueberries. (and then perhaps served with a dollop of ice cream… ummm yes please)
This week for Summer Fest, after the last amazing Eggplant celebration, we are celebrating Peaches! Peaches are one of the most versatile stone fruits around! You can use them in desserts, ice creams, jams and jellies. You can dry them and eat them like candy. You can make preserves and even chutneys and serve them over a grilled pork chop! Another favorite is to grill them. Yup, stick them right on the grill and let them get all nice and cozy with the flames and serve them with yet another scoop of ice cream.
This Peach and Blueberry Cobbler is a winner though. And it’s probably a good idea for you to make it in the next few weeks while peaches are just around every corner!
In order to make your life extra simple when making this dessert, you’re going to need to blanch the peaches for a hot second or two in order to remove the skins. Word to the wise… don’t try and peel the skin off the moment you take the peach out of the boiling water. It won’t end well. And you might end up chucking a peach across your kitchen after burning your hand. I’m speaking from experience here people 🙂
Once the skins of the peaches are removed, you just throw them into a baking dish with a few handfuls of blueberries, a little hint of lemon juice, salt and brown sugar and then pile on the topping. Then comes the hard part. It has the bake for 45 minutes which requires some patience… something I lack. But it’s worth the wait… because 45 minutes later you are going to have one delectable dessert that people are going to be obsessing over!
Happy Peach and Blueberry Cobbler Baking! Here’s the recipe:
- For the Filling:
- 12 ripe peaches
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- For the topping:
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp butter, chilled
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or 1/2 cup milk with a squeeze of lemon juice if you don't have buttermilk)
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds removed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil on the stove
- Add the peaches into the boiling water, a few at a time, and let sit for 45 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool. Repeat with remaining peaches.
- Once peaches have cooled enough to hold, peel of the skins and then cut them up into slices and discard the pit.
- Transfer sliced peaches to a baking dish, about 9x9 inches
- Add the blueberries, flour, lemon juice and zest, salt and brown sugar and toss together.
- combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut in the chilled butter with a pastry cutter.
- Mix in the egg, buttermilk and vanilla bean seeds and set aside.
- Pile the topping onto the fruit mixture using a spoon and randomly dropping scoops along the surface of the cobbler.
- Place dish into the oven and bake for 45 minutes until the top is slightly puffed and golden brown. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
And for more inspired dishes featuring peaches, be sure to check out all these great sites that are participating in Summer Fest this week
CIA Dropout: Peachy Keen Panna Cotta
In Jennie’s Kitchen: Easy Peach Preserves
Daily Dishin: Fresh Peaches and Cream No-Bake Pie
Cooking with Books: Peaches and Cream Cheesecake
Cooking With My Kid: Peach & Friends Cobbler Pie
White on Rice Couple: Peach Heirloom Tomato Salad
Cooking With Elise: Bruschetta with Grilled Peach Chutney
FN Dish: Summer Fest: Peach Recipes
Taste With The Eyes: Warm White Peach and Blackberry Cobbler
Recipe Girl: Fresh Peach Pie
A Way to Garden: Farm Fresh Peaches Frozen to Perfection
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Fresh Peach Cookies
Sassy Radish: Peach, Apricot and Blueberry Cobbler with a Cornmeal Crust
Sweet Life Bake: Sweet Peach Ancho Chile Salsa
Indian Simmer: Indian Peach Gujiya
Pinch My Salt: Creamy Peach Smoothie
Dixie Chik Cooks: Peach Cobbler
Food2: 5 Killer Peach Flavored Cocktails
Healthy Eats: 8 Ways You Didn’t Know You Could Eat Peaches
Cooking Channel: Peaches on the Grill
Add a Pinch: My Grandmother’s Peach Cobbler
And Love It Too: Pan Seared Salmon with Fresh Peach Salsa
The Sensitive Epicure: A Summer Peach Tart, Gluten-Free
From My Corner of Saratoga: Double Caramel Peaches
She Wears Many Hats: Peach Wontons
I Am Mommy: Peach Bread
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!