Peas on Pizza? I know, right? It’s kinda crazy but it’s actually out of this world delicious! I’m calling it now, Pesto Pea Pizza is about to be all the rage!
I’m counting down the days until Thomas and I have an actual backyard that can house a pizza oven… but until that day comes, I’m all about grilled pizza. That’s right – pizza dough straight onto the grill for a few hot seconds on each side and then pile on the toppings and go to town. It’s one of my favorite parts about summer/grilling season and if you’ve never had grilled pizza before… well, you need to remedy that immediately!
A few weeks back my bestest blogged about their Spring Pizza which was awesome and all, minus the fact that I wasn’t invited over for dinner. GASP! Major #fomo. Aka fear of missing out – which is totally a real life thing… especially when pizza is involved.
I solved that problem pretty quickly and whipped up my own version of Pesto Pea Pizza and then proceeded to eat the entire thing by myself. For reals. You should absolutely do the same, I promise you’ll be thrilled!
- 1 pound fresh pizza dough
- olive oil for brushing
- 1/3 cup Basil Vinaigrette
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh peas, blanched for 3 minutes
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Prepare a gas or charcoal grill to high heat. Brush the grill with a bit of oil.
- Shape the dough into a large pizza shape while on a clean floured surface. Let the dough sit for 5 minutes and then re-form to make sure it's as big as you'd like. Place the pizza dough on a lightly floured rimless baking sheet, or pizza peel.
- Transfer the dough over to the grill, and slide the pizza dough directly onto the grill. Grill the dough for about 2 minutes with the lid closed. Using a pair of tongs, lift the lid, and flip the dough over onto the other side and cook for about 2 minutes more. The dough should be golden brown with grill marks on both sides.
- Once the dough is cooked, remove it from the grill and place it back onto the baking sheet.
- Spread the basil vinaigrette on one side of the pizza, followed by the mozzarella, small dollops of ricotta and fresh peas. Carefully slide the pizza back onto the grill and grill for 2-3 minutes with the lid closed until the cheese has melted.
- Using tongs, remove the pizza from the grill and season with salt and pepper as needed. Slice and serve immediately.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!