Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. Say that 10 times fast.
This past weekend was pretty lazy. Partially because we couldn’t be bothered going out and getting dressed, and partially because the amount of TV that was on Sunday night was mind boggling. I mean we had to catch the globes, downton abbey, shameless, house of lies and revenge. And by we, I really mean me, because Thomas just puts up with my shenanigans and doesn’t really care about who’s wearing what while they walk down the red carpet. We also went to go see my boyfriends new movie, Lone Survivor. Tear jerker to say the least! It was epic, and I’d highly recommend it!
Also, as a side note, I think I’ll just continue to refer to Taylor Kitsch/Tim Riggins as my boyfriend. It’s totally normal. And you guys 100% approve right? Now that we’re all caught up, let’s proceed.
Before sitting down for the long haul of TV on Sunday, I whipped up these Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. Sure we’ve all had baked potatoes that are stuffed to the brim with awesome things, but have we all had stuffed sweet potatoes? So much better if you ask me! Especially when I stuff them with guacamole, cheese, beans, salsa, cilantro, and onions.
Guacamole on top of sweet potatoes? Perfection. The rest of the fillings – equally as awesome. It’s basically the perfect dinner. And you can eat these guilt free because it’s all good for you, minus the cheese, but who has time to worry about that?
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 recipe Guacamole
- 1/2 cup salsa or pico de gallo
- 1/2 cup cheese
- chopped red onions
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash the sweet potatoes, scrubbing them well to remove any dirt. With a fork, prick the sweet potatoes in a couple of spots and place them on a sheet pan. Bake for about 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center goes in easily.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Slice the sweet potatoes lengthwise down the center and push the ends towards the middle so it opens up. Season the sweet potatoes with the salt and pepper. Stuff the sweet potatoes generously with the black beans, guacamole, salsa, cheese, red onions and cilantro.
- Serve immediately.