Tostadas are one of my all time favorite dinners because they're just so damn fun! Plus, I'm kind of obsessed with frying my own tostada shells and then making a few homemade chips for snacking too 🙂
I'm getting into full on avocado mode here in LA because it's ALMOST spring. Never mind the fact that I'm literally sitting here writing this blog post in a full puffer jacket... March is around the corner and let's hope the 70 degree weather is coming with it!
So while I fantasize of spring dinner parties outside, let's make tostadas! These babies are made with my spicy refried bean recipe because ever since making that all those years ago, I've been making them in bulk and using them in just about everything! On top of the beans, I piled some charred corn, mashed avocado with lime juice and chives, pico and some spicy garlic sautéed shrimp.
These are also perfect for entertaining! You can make all the toppings and set them out on your counter and let your guests create their own tostada creations. Whip up a few freshly squeezed margaritas if that's your thing and call it a party!
Check out some of my favorite Shrimp Recipes here:
Avocado Shrimp Tostadas
- 4 small corn tortillas
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 ripe avocados
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 cup refried beans
- 2 ears of corn grilled and kernels removed
- ½ pound medium sized shrimp peeled and de-veined
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup pico de gallo
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat until almost smoking. Add the tortillas into the oil, one at a time, and fry on each side for about 2 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Remove with tongs and set aside to dry on a paper towel. Repeat process with other corn tortillas.
- In a small bowl, place the avocado and chives and lime juice. Mash with a fork, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Toss the shrimp with the cayenne and garlic powder as well as salt and pepper. Sauté in a medium skillet with 2 tablespoons of oil for 2-3 minutes on each side until pink and cooked.
- Spread the ¼ cup of refried beans on top of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle on the charred corn
- Spread a layer of the mashed avocado chive mixture on top.
- Top the mashed avocado with the pico
- Finish with a few shrimp.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.