This Loaded BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad is one of my favorite make ahead meals!!
I throw around the term on brand a LOT! I’ll say something like, this restaurant is totally on brand. Wearing yoga pants daily is on brand. My bright red bike helmet… on brand. You get the idea! Today and every other day for that matter, it’s safe to say that loaded salads are totally ON BRAND. They make life colorful and delicious and it’s a great way to use whatever is left in my fridge. Yesterday I whipped up a ton of these salads for the week! I just assemble the entire thing, minus the avocado, so then we can grab them for lunch when we’re hungry and add some avocado right before we eat. Layers of quinoa, grilled corn, black beans, shredded BBQ chicken, diced avocado, BBQ sauce and a little cheese give this salad about 324 dimensions and each bite was packed with flavor.
It’s kind of like a BBQ chicken pizza but subbed with quinoa which makes it healthier! Hands down this is one of my favorite salads that you absolutely have to try!
BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup fresh corn cut from the cob
- 1/2 cup black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded BBQ chicken can use a store bought chicken and tossed with a little BBQ sauce
- 1 avocado chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons White Cheddar cheese shredded
- BBQ sauce
- 2 scallions chopped
- cilantro for garnish
- In a large bowl, toss together the quinoa, corn, black beans, chicken and avocado. Season with salt and pepper
- Transfer mixture onto a bowl and top with shredded cheese, BBQ sauce, scallions and cilantro.
- ** This recipe calls for already cooked chicken so plan ahead! If I have time, I prefer to cook my chicken in the crockpot, using 6 chicken thighs, 1 white onion sliced and 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce. I cook on low for about 6-7 hours and then shred and refrigerate for later.