So, riddle me this… would you guys be okay if we made a joint decision that we should all eat grilled pizza for the rest of summer? Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza is my current jam!
Please say yes. Grilled pizza for those of you who have yet to experience it is a game changer!
If you have a grill, preferably a charcoal grill, it’s beyond really simple. Step numero uno: roll out your dough and then give it a little brush with some olive oil. Next: gently transfer the dough onto the piping hot BBQ and let it cook for just a few moments on each side until there are grill marks and the dough starts to bubble. Lastly: take it off the grill (carefully), top it with whatever you want, and throw it back on for a hot second to melt the cheese.
Boom. Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza!
I’ve been keeping the ingredients on hand to make this Loaded BBQ Chicken Salad but things took a delicious turn when it became a Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza instead. My only regret is having 2 friends over for an al fresco dinner. Because it meant no leftovers for me the next day. #fail
Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 1 lb pizza dough
- olive oil for brushing
- 1/2 cup store bought BBQ sauce
- Fresh mozzarella cheese torn
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup corn cut off the cob
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- small handful of cilantro
- small handful of chopped green onions
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Prepare a gas or charcoal grill to high heat. Brush the grill with a bit of oil.
- Shape the dough into 2 medium-ish pizzas while on a clean floured surface. Let the dough sit for 5 minutes and then re-form to make sure it’s as big as you’d like. Place the pizza dough on a lightly floured rimless baking sheet, or pizza peel.
- Transfer the dough over to the grill, and slide the pizza dough directly onto the grill. Grill the dough for about 2 minutes with the lid closed. Using a pair of tongs, lift the lid, and flip the dough over onto the other side and cook for about 2 minutes more. The dough should be golden brown with grill marks on both sides.
- Once the dough is cooked, remove it from the grill and place it back onto the baking sheet.
- Brush the olive oil over the top side pizza and then spread the BBQ. Arrange the mozzarella, shredded chicken, corn and red onion and place back onto the grill until the cheese has melted.
- Using tongs, remove the pizza from the grill and season with salt and pepper as needed. Top with the cherry tomatoes, cilantro, green onions and serve immediately.
Photo by Matt Armendariz / Food Styling by Adam Pearson / Recipe by What’s Gaby Cooking
Thanks lady!! XO
Yum!! I’m a little obsessed with bbq chicken pizza, and grilled is the best!
woot woot! I’m equally as obsessed. It’s a good obsession for sure
Not kidding – just told my hubby that we should have grilled pizza tonight…and totally on board for the rest of the summer. love it, lady!
omg. great minds think alike! you’ve gotta make it! XOXO
yes! i will totally eat grilled pizza all summer – especially if it looks THIS good!!
yayyyyyyyy that makes 2 of us 🙂
PURE summer in a pizza!! I can’t wait to start using our grill!
I’m coming over when you start firing up your grill!
Such a spectacular lookin pizza!!!
This is like a big pile of summer on a pizza! Gorgeous colors and great flavors!
Thanks lady!! Wish we could have enjoyed some of this in Austin!
Wow, this is nothing short of amazing! Would take 2 or 3 slices for sure!!
Let’s make it in portland this summer!
I love that this looks so fresh and isn’t drowning in cheese. Another Gaby meal on my to do list!!
🙂 gotta cut back on the cheese for my poor husband!
Grilled pizza is perfect for summer! Love this!
thanks girl!! wish we could share one of these on that GORGEOUS backyard patio of yours!
nothing like a summer BBQ pizza!!
agreed!! It’s the best this time of year
YES!! I love grilled pizza, and I double love bbq chicken pizza, so this is freakin’ awesome! 🙂
yay!! Thanks Shawn 🙂
omg you’ve gotta try it and report back! It will literally change your life!
Absolutely! Some of the best looking pizza I’ve ever seen!
To be honest I am just now starting to open up to the idea of chicken on pizza. I’ve never really had any that have been great but this one right here, I think I could fall in love with. This should happen when you’re in Seattle 🙂
Does your pizza dough ever fall through the racks in the grill? We have had that problem before, not fun!
Hey Paige! Nope, I’ve never had that problem – I just get my grill super hot and then the dough is only on there for about 1-2 minutes per side. What kind of grill do you have?
Grilled pizzas area summer must!!
This looks so incredibly delicious Gaby!
What a tasty pizza! Love to corn on it!
What type of charcoal do you use??
Looks really yummy!
Grilled pizza all summer long sounds like the best idea ever!
I was hesitant to put corn on a pizza…but OMG is it good. And grilling pizza has ruined all other pizza for me.
Love your pizzas all summer long!
I think our grill is going to be working non-stop this summer!
I cook almost everything on the grill! I saw you this morning on CBS This Morning & was very interested in your blog so I just spent the morning reading your recipes! I’m now a follower! The first thing I’m going to try is the pizza!
Can’t wait to hear what you think!
Yes please!! All summer long! Maybe even into the Autumn…
There is nothing better than grilled pizza in the summertime! The toppings on this bbq chicken pizza were so delicious together!
This stole the show at our family barbeque. I had extra dough so did one with pesto sauce and it was a delicious hit. I will never make pizza in the oven. One thing I liked was that you could make the pizza ahead and then just pop back on the grill when everyone is ready to eat. We also made salmon skewers with the basil vinaigrette and there were no leftovers!