How I made it 28 years without putting blueberries in my salad, I’m not sure. So I’m making up for lost time and devouring this Blueberry and Grilled Asparagus Salad on a daily basis!
It all started because I have a tendency to come home from the farmers market with enough produce to feed a small army. I thought this would slow down a bit now that I’m without a car, but apparently I like to make life difficult and ride my bike home, uphill, 4 miles, with 10 bags hanging off of me and my bike. Clearly, I have issues.
But when good things come from these treacherous bike rides like this Blueberry and Grilled Asparagus Salad, I really can’t complain. Loaded with grilled asparagus, plump blueberries, goat cheese, fresh corn cut from the cob and a champagne vinaigrette, this salad screams summer! All you need is a glass of prosecco and you’re golden!
Blueberry and Grilled Asparagus Salad
For the Salad
- 1 bunch asparagus about ½ pound, ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pint Blueberries
- 4 tablespoons crumbled Goat cheese
- 1 handful small basil leaves
- 3 cups farmers market lettuce
- Corn cut from the cob in chunks
For the Champagne vinaigrette
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Heat a BBQ or indoor grill over medium high heat. Drizzle the asparagus with the olive oil and transfer to the heated grill. Grill for 4-5 minutes until there are grill marks on all sides. Remove from the grill, season with salt and pepper, and set aside to cool. Once cooled, cut the grilled asparagus into 1 inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss together the blueberries, goat cheese, basil leaves, lettuce and corn. Add the grilled asparagus pieces and then drizzle with the vinaigrette (recipe below) and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
- Reserve extra vinaigrette for another use.
- Combine all the ingredients except the olive oil in a medium bowl and whisk together. Once combined, stream in the olive oil and continue to whisk until the vinaigrette comes together. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
Photo Credit: Matt Armendariz
Food Styling Credit: Adam Pearson