I finally caved and gave into the Cauliflower Rice rice trend and I’m obsessed! Cauliflower Rice Chicken Burrito Bowls are on repeat this week because I can’t get enough!
I’ve mentioned it before – but sometimes I have a hard time getting on the trend train. Like when Cauliflower pizza crust was a thing, I just couldn’t wrap my mind around it. I mean, I understand that it’s a great spin on a classic, but it just seemed like a LOT of extra prep.
So when Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods started selling Cauliflower rice, I was skeptical. Fast forward a few weeks and I finally came around to the idea and OMG was I wrong. It’s everything. It’s almost too easy to make! A head of two of cauliflower that gets a whirl in the food processor and then it can be used as a rice substitute. So it’s healthier and lighter and it’s just plain awesome. I’ve turned it into a Burrito Bowl because my name is Gaby and that’s what I do!! It’s loaded with a chipotle marinated chicken, plenty of beans, corn, pico, avocado and a sprinkling of cheese for good measure. Promise me you’ll make it! It’s too good to miss.
Cauliflower Rice Chicken Burrito Bowl
For the Chicken
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (or 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
For the Bowls
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup cooked black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup charred corn
- 1 avocado sliced or cubed
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime sliced into wedges
- olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pico de Gallo
- Shredded Monterey Jack
- Combine the vegetable oil, chopped chipotle peppers in adobo, garlic powder, cumin, dried oregano, and black pepper in a small bowl and stir to combine. Place the chicken in a large zip top plastic bag and add the marinade. Zip the bag and mix the chicken into the marinade. Place it into the fridge and let it marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat an indoor or outdoor grill to about 400 degrees F (medium high heat). Place the chicken onto the grill and grill 5 to 6 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes. Chop the chicken into small bite sized pieces and use as needed.
- Make sure your cauliflower is fully dry. Place the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until it has the texture of rice. Work in batches if necessary and don’t over process or it will get mushy. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the cauliflower and sauté until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lime juice to help remove any bitterness from the raw cauliflower. Remove from the skillet and portion the “rice” into 4 serving bowls.
- To the bowls add the chicken, black beans, charred corn, avocado, and cilantro, pico, cheese and serve with limes.