My dad makes a MEAN Cornish Hen! Like truly the best! So I bribed him with cookies to spill the beans on his tried and true methods! Papa Dalkin's Roasted Cornish Hens coming in hot today!
So back in the day, when we still lived at home and didn't have to pay our own bills, my dad would make these Roasted Cornish Hens for us for special occasions. I LOVEDDDDD them (and still do!) because of many reasons. 1: I got the entire little bird to myself so I didn't have to fight over who got the legs. 2: the skin is crispy and delicious and I could eat all of it without anyone trying to steal it! 3: they are just so freaking cute and they kinda make the perfect main course these days when you need individual servings of everything!
The key is the seasoning and the onions! Other than that, it's really simple. I used Gaby's Go To because it truly is the best all purpose seasoning ever! But you could use any of your fav blends to achieve the perfect Roasted Cornish Hens! Skies the limit people - you'll love these! And let's not forget about his other epic creation: Paprika Roasted Whole Chicken!
If you tried this recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting today!
Dad's Roasted Cornish Hens
- 4 Cornish game hens
- 3 large yellow onions cut into quarters
- 10 cloves garlic
- 2 lemons cut into wedges
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons of your favorite seasoning blend
- Pat the hens dry with paper towels and generously season with the dry rub both inside and out.
- Preheat your oven to 425 °F.
- In a small roasting pan add the quartered onions, garlic cloves, and half the lemon wedges. Stuff the remaining lemons into the cavities and then place the hens in the roasting pan over the onions and drizzle the olive oil over the hens.
- Transfer the roasting pan to the preheated oven and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers at 165 °F.
- Remove the hens from the oven and let them rest for 20 minutes and serve.