What’s December without an obscene amount of cookies…. adding one more to your cookie making to-do list with these Butterscotch and Chocolate Chip Molasses Cookies!
These babies are the brain child of my mama who is on par with my dad when it comes to sweet tooth creations!! They get it / know how to live. It’s the Dalkin favorite molasses cookie recipe but with plenty of chocolate chips and butterscotch chips to give it that extra POP of flavor. And let me tell you… these Butterscotch and Chocolate Chip Molasses Cookies DO NOT DISAPPOINT.
So much so, when we were shooting these in the studio a few days ago, Adam (my food stylist) said these were the best cookies we’ve ever made. I WILL TAKE IT. Now please make 4 dozen immediately and gift them to your friends / family / neighbors and enjoy some yourself! Everyone deserves a little holiday cheer this month!
A few Molasses Cookie Q+A’s:
What kind of molasses should I use: I use either the Grandma’s Original Unsulphured Molasses or the Wholesome Organic Unsulphured Molasses. Both work beautifully in this recipe.
What kind of chocolate chips should I use: I prefer semi-sweet in this recipe, but you can use dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips or even milk chocolate chips if you prefer.
What does scoop and level mean for the flour: it means that you literally scoop your measuring cup into the flour and then level it out with a straight edge of a knife.
Butterscotch and Chocolate Chip Molasses Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup white sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour (scooped and leveled)
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips
- In a large stand mixer combine the butter, sugar, egg and molasses. Mix for a minute or two until well combined.
- In another large bowl, stir together the flour, cloves, ginger, cinnamon and baking soda. Slowly add the flour mixture to the molasses mixture and mix until evenly combined. Fold in the butterscotch and chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once chilled, scoop 2 tablespoons of dough at a time and roll into balls. Roll them around in a small cup of sugar and set onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let the cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer the cookies onto a cooling rack to continue to cool.