It was a tough job but someone had to do it - the best Christmas cookie recipes I've ever had the pleasure of making, eating and gifting. Plus, adding in a few of my favorite places to order cookies from for when you need to send that quick fix of love to someone not within driving distance during the holidays. As you know, 2023 was the year of the Cookie on WGC so we are ready to party this season!
Table of Contents
Christmas Cookie Recipes
My grandmother's famous Christmas Linzer Cookies with Raspberry Preserves are the PERFECT Christmas Cookie / Secret Santa treat or hostess gift this time of year! It's two butter cookies sandwiched with copious amounts of Raspberry Preserves and a generous dusting of powdered sugar on top.
The recipe couldn’t be easier, you can make these Gooey Chocolate Crinkle Cookies right this second and then snack on them for the next few days. These are one of my favorite cookie recipes! The inside is gooey and soft, the outside is just slightly crispy and coated with a layer of powered sugar that will leave you dusted with happiness.
Most truffle recipes require tempering chocolate and it takes a while… these are made with oreos, cream cheese and chocolate and come together VERY quickly. Peppermint Oreo Cookie Truffles are the perfect treat to make for any holiday parties or last minute office pot lucks! Plus they are the easiest things to make on earth.
Sugar Cookie Recipe
These Peppermint Bark S'mookies are the best parts of a s'more and peppermint bark rolled into 1.
Molasses Cookies & Snickerdoodle Cookies
These Molasses Cookies come from my mom - who I think got the recipe from my her mom and she probably got it from her mom. Who knows. Either way - these Molasses Cookies are perfection. The dough comes together quickly, chills in the fridge to harden it up, and then rolled into balls and coated in sugar before baking. The result is a perfectly soft and chewy molasses Christmas cookie that you'll totally love!
Oatmeal Cookie Recipes
One of my favorite parts of going home is that my dad always makes me his famous Kitchen Sink Cookies. They are undoubtedly one of the best cookie recipes out there. What started as basic oatmeal chocolate chip cookies have turned into something way more delicious. Nowadays they are stuffed with chocolate chips, M&M’s, dried cranberries and dried apricots. Totally genius.
Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
This is hands down one of my favorite cookie recipes. These chocolate chip cookies are perfectly baked, gooey on the inside, and slightly crispy on the outside, the best part is that this particular recipe falls under the "easy chocolate chip cookie recipes" category, like so easy that even Thomas can make them 🙂 . Look no further this is the Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe.
Best Places To Order Cookies For Delivery
- The Very Best Cookie - If you're looking for an incredible gift to send to a friend, look no further. The Very Best Cookie ships nationwide, and be sure to add a browned butter toasted marshmallow rice krispie treat to your cookie order - you won't regret it.
- The Last Crumb - They release their cookie boxes in limited drops, and they go fast! The best way to snag one is by signing up for their list. Trust me, it's worth it.
- Sweetboy Bakery - Holy moly if you're in LA you must order these.
- Gusto - These are the best chocolate chip cookies in Long Beach! They don't ship nationwide, but they have local delivery if you're in the area.
- If you want to send homemade treats - the Christmas Chex Mix or Dark Chocolate Muddy Buddies are my go-to for shipping. Just make sure to roll them in plenty of bubble wrap.
Christmas Cookie Kitchen Tools
What you’ll need:
Christmas Cookies: Sugar Cookies
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter cut into small pieces, at room temperature
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup holiday sprinkles plus extra for decorating
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup meringue powder
- Food coloring optional
- Decorating sugar for topping, optional
- Sprinkles for topping, optional
For the cookies
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat the sugar and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes; beat in the egg, then the vanilla. Add the flour mixture and sprinkles and mix on medium-low speed until completely incorporated. Divide the dough in half, place each piece between 2 pieces of parchment and then roll to ⅓ inch thick. Once rolled out, place the parchment sandwiches dough on a baking sheet and chill for 20 minutes.
- Position oven racks in the top and bottom thirds of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut out shapes with the cookie cutters and arrange about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until the cookies are golden brown on the bottom, 10 to 12 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets until firm enough to transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
- Gently gather any scraps into a ball and press into a disc; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate the disc until firm enough to roll, about 1 hour. Cut out as many cookies as possible and bake.
For the royal icing
- Beat the confectioners' sugar, meringue powder and ⅓ cup water with an electric mixer in a large bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Decorate the cookies with the icing; top with decorating sugar and sprinkles as needed.