For those days when all you need is a cookie in the form of a pizza… I give you the Pizookie!
What is a Pizookie?
Imagine a mega chocolate chip cookie baked in a cast iron skillet and then served with ice cream on top. Pizza + Cookie = Pizookie.
Where did the Pizookie come from?
As a child growing up in Tucson there was a restaurant called Oreganos we used to always go to that claimed to be the inventor of the pizza cookie! Technically they did not call it a Pizookie. BJ’s Restaurant and Bar I believe came up with the name Pizookie and has made it famous through their restaurant chain nation wide.
How to make Pizookie at home?
It’s very simple – cookie dough, a skillet, and some ice cream. But in order to make the best Pizookie I suggest using my fav chocolate chip cookie recipe and voila! Game time.
Take your cookie dough (pre bought or homemade) and transfer to a skillet, spread evenly and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 22-24 min. (Full directions down below). Top with ice cream and you are set.
How to serve a Pizookie?
It’s best served straight out of the skillet with 4-5 forks for you and your friends so everyone can go to town. You can also eat it on your own, something I may or may not have done on more than one occasion.
The ultimate tip for making Pizookie at a moments notice:
Have you ever thrown a dinner party and just did not have the time to make dessert? Have you ever craved something sweet after dinner on a Wednesday but did not feel like taking the time to bake something off and deal with the messy dishes?
If so, this tip is about to be a game changer. The concept is simple. The next time you are making cookies, make an extra batch of cookie dough and freeze it. I always have a batch of cookie dough sitting in my freezer ready to go. This way, you can easily thaw the frozen cookie dough and bake off a batch of cookies without the mess, or MAKE A PIZOOKIE without all the dishes of making the cookie dough, something I have been known to do from time to time.
Here are some other cookie recipes you can use to get creative with your Pizookies:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt the butter and transfer into a mixing bowl.
- Add the brown sugar and whisk to combine. Add the vanilla and egg and continue to whisk until totally incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda to the wet ingredients and mix until fully combined. Add the chocolate chips and mix to combine.
- Spray a medium sized skillet with baking spray. Transfer the batter into the skillet and spread it evenly. Bake for 22-24 minutes until just still slightly gooey in the middle and golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and let rest for a few minutes before topping with scoops of ice cream and serving. It’s 100% meant to be eaten right out of the skillet.