If you guys have been following along on snapchat, then you’ll know my full on obsession with this Farro Delicata Squash Salad! I can’t be stopped.
I made it a few weeks ago with one of my girlfriends Minka and it’s been on regular rotation ever since. It’s every flavor you’ve ever wanted all tossed into a giant bowl. Not only is it delicious, but it’s healthy, colorful and way easy! The feta gives it a salty bite, the type of squash I used is the easiest to handle and the herbs make you feel like there’s a tiny bit of summer in your kitchen – add to that the bursts of flavor from the pomegranate seeds and it’s GAME OVER.
Serve this Farro Delicata Squash Salad up as a lunch, a side dish, a salad, you name it! It works for just about everything. And it makes for excellent leftovers which is what I’ve been so obsessed with. Prep it on a Sunday, have some for dinner, and then you’ve got lunches covered for part of the week! Brilliant!
And if you’re not already on snapchat – HOP TO IT!! It’s easily the most entertaining social media platform ever. Each friday you can tune in for my weekly snapisodes (username – whatsgabycookin) and I’ll cook something from start to finish! PLUS you guys can chime in with any questions as they come up!
Farro Delicata Squash Salad
- 1 cup raw farro
- 1 delicata squash – halved cleaned, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 2 bulbs of fennel – sliced thin
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 persian cucumbers sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh dill – torn
- 1/4 cup fresh basil – torn
- 1/4 cup fresh mint – torn
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 juice of lemon
- 1 cup feta in brine cut into cubes
- Cook the farro according to the package directions. Remove farro from heat, drain and rinse under cool water.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Toss the delicata squash with olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Spread them on a baking sheet and roast until lightly caramelized and soft but not mushy, about 20-25 minutes.
- Combine farro, squash, fennel, cucumbers dill, basil, mint, pomegranate seeds and almonds. Drizzle the pomegranate molasses, mix well. Serve warm or cold. Garnish with roughly chopped almonds and feta cheese.
Photo by Matt Armendariz / Food Styling by Adam Pearson / Recipe from What’s Gaby Cooking
Ever since I learned from you that Delicata skin can be eaten, it is my new favorite squash! I love farro also, so this will be perfect for an easy dinner. It looks deliciously beautiful!!
So, um……it’s official, you are the queen of salad-making! This one looks crazy good!
I love the salty taste of feta. This with the farro and squash, I’m sure makes for a tasty salad. It’s also beautiful on that plate. I feel like I maybe the only one not on snapchat. 🙂
What incredible flavors!
This salad looks great and I am planning to make it. The lemon is listed in the ingredients but not in the instructions. Does it get squeezed over the salad? Thanks!