These Flank Steak Burrito Bowls are so perfect that they will put all other burrito bowls to shame.
Here's the thing about burrito bowls. There are a lot of ingredients that go into making them and that makes them incredible because you never get bored, but prepping all that stuff can get annoying. I get it, but I've simplified a bit and made things pretty easy so we can make our own burrito bowls at home for a fraction of the cost and have TONS of leftovers to pack for lunches all week long.
The secret to a perfect burrito bowl is three-fold:
1: you need a great base. This lime cilantro rice is everything. It's so flavorful and not even remotely boring.
2: make it stand out!! Today it's all about this super flavorful flank steak! So good and so easy you'll want to grill up (either inside or outside) a piece of this steak and use it every week!
3: the toppings. Obviously. guacamole. cheese. salsa. pico. corn, you name it... get jazzy and then dig in!
Flank Steak Burrito Bowls
For the Steak
- 1 lb Flank Steak
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup Hot Sauce I love the Chipotle Cholula
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the Rice
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- kosher salt to taste
For the toppings
- 1 cup pinto beans warmed
- 1 cup charred corn
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Preferred hot sauce again, I'm partial to Chipotle Cholula
For the Steak
- Combine the ingredients for the flank steak marinade. Add the steak and let marinate for 2 hours.
- Heat a grill over medium high heat. Remove the steak from the marinade and generously season with salt and pepper. Place the steak on the grill and grill for 4-6 minutes on each side, turning 90 degrees halfway through to get criss-cross grill marks. Cook until medium, or medium, depending on your preference, and then remove to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice the flank steak against the grain and then again into cubes and use for the burrito bowls.
For the Rice
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the white rice and lime juice and sauté for 60 seconds to toast the rice.
- Add the water and bring the rice to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low and cook until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed. Add in the cilantro and fluff rice with a fork.
- Arrange equal parts of the white rice and chopped grilled steak in 4 bowls. Top with equal parts of the pinto beans, corn, guacamole, pico and cheese. Season with salt and pepper as needed and shake the Cholula Green Pepper Sauce on top as needed (I prefer 10+ shakes per bowl) serve immediately.
- You need a great base. This lime cilantro rice is everything. It’s so flavorful and not even remotely boring.
- Make it stand out!! Today it’s all about this super flavorful flank steak! So good and so easy you’ll want to grill up (either inside or outside) a piece of this steak and use it every week!
- The toppings. Obviously. guacamole. cheese. salsa. pico. corn, you name it… get jazzy and then dig in!