Are you ready for the cake to end all cakes? Because it’s about to happen with this one! Plus, for everyone that is asking for GF recipes... here you go! A super light Almond Cake with Strawberries on top!
Typically I leave the GF baking to Heather who is also happens to be one of my favorite humans on this planet and my go-to for all things allergy free but it's Mother's day this weekend and I thought I'd roll out something special in honor of my mama. Mama Dalkin!! Love her! Today I'm celebrating her because she deserves it! Not only is she an incredible mom, but she puts up with my 2903482394 phone calls a day just to say hi, she's always is there when I need a shoulder to cry on, is hands down my best friend and the one I can always count on for everything. So naturally I'm saying thank you for everything with food - it's how I best express my love. We're diving head first into an Almond Cake with sugar drenched strawberries on top! Pure brilliance if you ask me.
Be warned... make sure you have at least six people over to share it with, otherwise I can’t be blamed for consuming the entire thing by oneself (not that I speak from experience or anything like that!).
Gluten-Free Almond Cake with Strawberries
For the Cake
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- 4 eggs separated
- 1 lemon zested
- ¼ teaspoon orange blossom water optional
- ½ cup white sugar divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
For the Topping
- 16 ounces fresh strawberries sliced
- ⅓ cup white sugar
For the whipped cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8-inch spring-form pan, with non-stick baking spray and set aside. Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Spread almond flour on to parchment lined baking sheet. Transfer baking sheet into the oven and toast for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until toasted and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat together egg yolks, lemon zest, orange blossom water and ¼ cup sugar until smooth.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the almond flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to egg yolk mixture and beat until smooth. This mixture will be very thick once incorporated.
- In a large stand mixer, beat egg whites on medium high speed until they start to increase in size. Once egg whites start to get fluffy, add a pinch of salt. Slowly add the remaining ¼ cup of white sugar to the egg whites and continue to beat until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into the almond mixture ½ cup at a time. The batter will start to lighten as you add more egg whites and eventually become light and airy. Transfer batter to the prepared spring-form pan and place into the oven to bake for 30 – 35 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- While the cake is baking, mix together the sliced strawberries and ⅓ cup of white sugar. Let the strawberries marinate for 30-45 minutes until a strawberry syrup has formed.
- Make the whipped cream. Using an electric mixer or whisk, beat heavy cream and powdered sugar until medium-stiff peaks form. Cover and chill.
- Remove the spring-form pan from the oven and let cool before removing the cake from the pan. Transfer the cake to a serving dish. Once cooled top the almond cake with the entire strawberry mixture letting the strawberry syrup run down the sides of the cake. Sprinkle the slivered almonds on top and serve immediately.