This garlicky, herby Roasted Mushroom Pasta with crunchy homemade breadcrumbs is truly perfection!
Pasta is clearly my love language. It’s been this way since as long as I can remember. And mushrooms have been added to that list ever since culinary school. This fall inspired Roasted Mushroom Pasta is truly perfection. And yes, there are homemade bread crumbs on top. It’s carb on carb. The only right way to do life.
Let’s talk mushrooms quickly. In all honesty, any mushroom would work for this recipe! You can use a combination of whatever is available at your local market or farmers market. In my version of this Roasted Mushroom Pasta we used maitake, shiitake, criminis and oyster mushrooms. You can use as many varieties as you prefer – they all have just a slightly different flavor but together they just explode with a woodsy mushroomy goodness that I love the MOST.
And hot tip – remember that you should never run your mushrooms under water or rinse them. Instead, just brush them off with a clean towel to remove any dirt. IF you were to rinse them, they would soak up too much moisture and then not roast properly!
And if you want a few other of my fav mushroom inspired recipes:
- Wild Mushroom Risotto
- Mushroom Carnitas
- Wild Mushroom Stuffing
- Caramelized Mushroom Polenta
- Chicken Parm Mushroom Pasta
- Garlic Mushroom and Spinach Pizza
Roasted Mushroom Pasta with Herbs
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed mushrooms (any kind of mushrooms works)
- olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, 4 smashed and peeled, 2 roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 4 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs (recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed, drained, and chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 10 ounces of your favorite shaped pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan
For the Breadcrumbs
- 4 sliced whole grain bread, torn into very small pieces (about 1 ½ cups once torn)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Brush off any dirt from the mushrooms and trim off the dried stems. Cut or tear the mushrooms so they are all approximately 1 inch chunks. Place the mushrooms into a bowl, then add a generously douse with olive oil, salt, pepper and the smashed whole cloves of garlic. Toss to combine
- Spread them in an even layer on a baking sheet. Roast until they are browned and crisp around the edges for about 20-25 minutes, tossing once halfway through.
- Toss the roasted mushrooms with the chopped raw garlic, lemon zest and juice, breadcrumbs, capers, and parsley. Taste and adjust with more salt and pepper.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions and reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water. Combine the drained pasta together with the roasted mushrooms, minced garlic, chopped parsley, 2 tablespoons of butter, and lots of grated cheese. Drizzle in a few tablespoons of the pasta water to make everything creamy. Finish with extra cracked black pepper.
For the Breadcrumbs
- Place a large non-stick skillet over medium heat with the olive oil and butter. Add the bread and sauté for 3-5 minutes until it starts to turn golden brown. Add the garlic and salt continue to sauté for about 1-2 more minutes until fragrant and toasted. Remove from heat and transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain any excess oil. Use as needed.