I’ve been on a soup kick the past few weeks and I’m in no hurry to change it up anytime soon! And this Roasted Tomato Basil Soup with Cheesy Garlic Bread is about to be your go-to tomato soup from here on out!
I know we all feel very strongly about Roasted Tomato Basil Soup. I mean, what else are you supposed to eat alongside your grilled cheese during the fall and winter months? Hello?!? Tomato soup is VERY important which is why I’m so excited about this recipe. It’s great for anytime of the year.
If you’re in the middle of winter and there aren’t any great tomatoes, you can use canned roasted tomatoes and it’s going to be perfect. Just keep your eyes open for a brand of canned tomatoes that really strike your fancy! Canned tomatoes are assembled in the peak of tomato season – so it’s the way to go if the tomatoes in your produce department are lacking any flavor or scent! If you’re in the middle of tomato season, then by all means, roast your own tomatoes!! I’ve tried it both ways and the bottom line is – you need great tomatoes as they are the base for the soup.
I serve this up with a grill cheese or a garlic cheesy toast! I’ve been known to serve it up as brunch with a croque monsieur too! Because I live on the edge and I do what I want. YOLO.
But whether you serve this Roasted Tomato Basil Soup up by itself or with some toasty / cheesy bread, I promise you’ll love it.
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup with Cheesy Garlic Bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion small dice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 28- ounce cans roasted tomatoes or 3 pounds of tomatoes, halved and roasted at 425 degrees for 30 minutes
- 1-2 roasted red bell peppers either from the jar and drained, or halved and season with salt, pepper and a few teaspoons of olive oil and roasted in the oven at 425 for 20 minutes
- 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream optional
- Handful fresh basil leaves
For the Cheesy Garlic Bread
- 1 baguette sliced into triangles
- Butter at room temperature
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 pound grated Gruyere
- Fresh thyme for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Add diced onions and cook gently, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, about 20 minutes.
- Add flour and stir until mixture is slightly thickened and pale gold, about 3 minutes; do not allow to brown.
- Stir in the tomatoes and their juices, red bell peppers, chicken broth, salt, red pepper flakes, thyme and pepper. Raise heat to medium until the liquid bubbles, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot frequently.
- Stir in heavy cream (if using) and basil. Remove from heat and purée using a hand blender, or allow to cool until no longer steaming and purée in batches in a stand blender. Return to medium heat just until heated through.
- Once the soup is done, preheat the broiler. Arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Slather the top with butter and sprinkle with garlic. Top the bread with the Gruyere and broil until bubbly and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
Photo Matt Armendariz // Food Styling Adam Pearson // Props Gena Sigala // Recipe by Gaby
Love this recipe – I am making it again and wondering that if doubling the recipe, do I also double the amount of butter, oil, flour and stock?
yes if you double it, you double everything
I am making this delicious soup today. You reference chicken stock and chicken broth in the recipe. Are they the same? Is there a particular brand you recommend? Thank you for all your fabulous recipes!
interchangeable in my opinion!! I get the low sodium one from trader joes
Delicious!!! And so easy.
What brand canned tomatoes would you recommend please
Anything that says san marzano is what I buy!
Yum a lum! Quick and delicious. I added some garlic and lots of basil. I didn’t make the cheese bread, instead added some grated cheese on top.
I just made this soup again and so perfect!!
Love this recipe. I’ve made in about 4 times & can’t get enough of it. It tastes better each time I make it. Shared it with my Daughter & 21 year old granddaughter. They both love it.
Thanks so much Gabby!❤️
I cannot wait to make this!!! Can I replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock or broth?
Will flavor be sacrificed if I use diced tomatoes?
Night two and just as good as the first night! Can you explain what cutting the baguette in triangle means?
Its just easier to dunk when it’s in triangles!
Trying this for the first time and wondering about a cream substitute. We love creamy soups, but are a bit lactose intolerant. Any ideas other than omitting?
You could use a nut-based creamed (like an unflavored one that you would use for your coffee)
This soup is the BEST Tomato basil soup ever!! and so easy!
This really is the best tomato soup, and it was super easy to make! Planning to pair it with grilled cheese for lunches this week! Something to look forward to every day.
Hi when you say cans of roasted tomatoes do you mean fire roasted? I think that is the only kind of canned roasted tomatoes I have seen in my local stores
This soup is absolutely delicious! I did half fresh tomatoes and half canned tomatoes and it worked beautifully. I also threw in a chunk of parm I had in the fridge because why not. The soup is easy to make and so tasty – I highly recommend it.
This soup and Gruyère cheese bread is the ULTIMATE cold, winters weather food combo! The soup has a nice texture and love the slight after-burn from the red pepper flakes! The crusty cheese & garlic bread was a fantastic substitute for grilled cheese sandwich too! Will be making this again fo-sho! Thanks, Gabby!
Easy and delicious!