Big, beautiful, loaded salads are a way of life here on What’s Gaby Cooking. They’re my favorite way to pack lots of different flavors and textures into one meal – and today this Roasted Vegetable Winter Panzanella is having a moment in the spotlight!
You guys are all well aware of my love affair with all things salads. I mean, I have an entire section of my website dedicated to them. None of them are complicated, all of them are delish (duh) and each one has an epic dressing / vinaigrette on top because that’s really what pulls everything together. Today is no exception!
My Roasted Vegetable Winter Panzanella is loaded with roasted Brussels Sprouts, carrots, butternut squash and sweet potatoes and sits on a bed of kale with the most addictive garlic croutons ever. It’s finished off with this lemon parmesan vinaigrette that takes decadent but really is quite light too! It’s my definition of perfection and I know you’re going to love it! Plus it’s the perfect thing to make while sticking to all those new years resolutions!
For the Salad
- 1 1/2 cups purple sweet potato small dice
- 1 1/2 cups Brussels sprouts halved
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash small dice
- 1 cup red carrots small chop
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- a couple pinches sea salt
For the Croutons
- 1/2 loaf french bread a few days old
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
For the Lemon Parmesan Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 shallot chopped
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Rip the bread into small-ish pieces. Transfer bread to a bowl. Prepare a parchment lined baking sheet. Drizzle the bread with the olive oil and butter and then sprinkle with garlic, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Using your hands, gently toss the croutons and make sure they are coated with all the oils, butters and seasonings. Transfer the croutons to the parchment paper and bake for 15-20 minutes until they are golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool before serving.
- Transfer the prepped veggies onto a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in a 425 degree oven bake for 25-35 minutes, until golden.
- While the veggies roast, massage the kale with the olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Transfer to a large bowl. Remove veggies from oven, adjust salt and pepper as needed. Toss the roasted vegetables with the kale, croutons and drizzle with vinaigrette. Serve immediately.