Gather around the kitchen for a smoky, savory and delicious dinner! This easy-to-follow Smoky Beef and Black Bean Chili Recipe is sure to be an instant hit with your family. With just a few simple steps you can prepare this hearty chili that’s perfect for weeknight family dinners or holiday parties. Packed full of flavor and spice, it’s even better when served up with toppings such as diced onions, cilantro, sour cream or cheese – so choose your favorite and get ready to dig in.
Table of Contents
This homemade chili recipe is loaded with tons of peppers, topped with cheese and it’s the perfect way to feed a crowd.
It’s another What’s Gaby Cooking DIY Bar… aka my favorite way to entertain! This time it’s BEYOND simple though and it’s perfect for any large gathering. This Smoky Beef and Black Bean Chili situation is everything. It’s a smoky beef and black bean chili that makes a boat load and saves well. You can freeze leftovers, or keep it in the fridge for leftover lunches during the week. Or feed a ton of people at once with very little effort!
Grab 6-10 of your favorite friends and family (even more if you double the chili recipe) and let people DIY their own bowls of chili with toppings like chives, cheese, sour cream, cilantro, avocado and green onions. Everyone can get as creative as they please. Kids will love it and adults will be obsessed so you can’t go wrong. You could also throw out a bowl of bacon, some chopped red onion or tortilla chips if you want to get extra jazzy. If you ask me, the more toppings the merrier!
If you’re looking for me this weekend, you can for sure find me chowing down on a bowl of Smoky Beef and Black Bean Chili Bar and pretending to watch sports 🙂
Q: What is the secret to making good chili? / What adds the most flavor to chili?
A: In short the aromatics that you add in at the beginning. The onions, the peppers, the seasonings. I also think its best to avoid beef that is to lean. Remember, fat is flavor.
If you loved this Beef Chili Recipe, make sure to check these other delicious recipes out:
- Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili Recipe
- Chili Con Carne
- Chicken Chili Verde
- Smoky Chipotle Chicken Chili Recipe
- Cheesy Chicken Taco Chili Pasta
All in all, this Classic Chili Recipe is seriously tasty, perfect for a winter night spent cozied up on the couch. And because it’s so easy to make, you can have it on the table in no time flat – which means more time spent relaxing and enjoying the fruits of your labor. So what are you waiting for? Give this Smoky Beef and Black Bean Chili Recipe a try the next time you’re looking for a quick and delicious comfort meal.
What you’ll need:
Smoky Beef and Black Bean Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper roughly chopped
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper roughly chopped
- 1 poblano pepper roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1 red onion roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 chipotle chilies finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 16-ounce can of black beans drained and rinsed
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Diced Avocado
- In a large heavy bottom pot, add the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the red and orange bell pepper, poblano pepper and yellow and red onion and sauté for 10-12 minutes until the vegetables start to cook down. Add the garlic and chili powder and sauté for 1-2 more minutes. Next, add the ground beef. Break it up into pieces with a wooden spoon and sauté until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the beef is cooked, add chopped chipotle chili peppers, adobo sauce, crushed tomatoes and beef stock. Stir to combine and reduce the heat to medium. Add the drained black beans and simmer for 1 hour until the chili thickens.
- Once the chili has thickened, you can reduce the heat to low and keep it on the stove until you are ready to serve. Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
Photography by Matt Armendariz / Food Styling by Adam Pearson
We LOVE chili! This is such great way to feed many, and they can select whatever toppings they prefer. Yum.
Do you chop the garlic or put in whole and remove later?
Look at this gorgeous chili!! My favorite!!
A chili bar is such a great idea!
That is one amazing looking chili!
I LOVE chili!! all the toppings are awesome!
I love chilli and am always looking out for new variations.
How many servings is the recipe?
Wow, this looks and sounds incredible! I’m all about a chili that’s chocked full of flavor, so this recipe is right up my alley. Definitely saving this one!
I’m totally obsessing over this chili bar! I would eat chili no matter the time of year! LOL
How do you keep the diced avocado looking bright and green? Should i drench them in lime juice or is there a secret?
lime juice = 100&
What else would you serve alongside your chili bar. Would you bother w apps?
wouldn’t really do apps! maybe a dip and chip
This was a big hit at my party. Is there a way to make it less spicy so little kids would like it?
you could leave out the chipotles in adobo next time!!
Do you think swapping ground turkey for the ground beef would work okay for this? Thanks!
Can I do this in a slow cooker??
This was so good!!! I’ve made many chili recipes looking for the right one. This is it for sure!!! Just the best flavor! I made it and let it sit in the crockpot till dinner and it was bomb!!! This is my only chili recipe now!
Absolutely delicious! Made with ground turkey because that’s all I had and it was sooooo flavorful!
Made for a football watching party at my house, was delicious! Love the smokiness from the chipotle peppers.
Would ground venison work in this recipe? Would I need to make any alterations?
sure thing and no!